Bucknell Brigade Gears up for 5K

Emily Ryan, Contributing Writer

The Bucknell Brigade will host its fifth annual Making it to Managua 5K race tomorrow in Hufnagle Park at 10 a.m. to benefit a free medical clinic in Nicaragua. The Brigade is also celebrating its 15th year as a University organization.

The Bucknell Brigade is a student-initiated service-learning project that has a partnership with a resettlement community outside the capital city of Managua, Nicaragua. The connection to Nicaragua was initiated in 1999 when a volunteer group from the University spent spring break providing emergency relief after the devastation of Hurricane Mitch.

Jenna Weaver ’15, the organizer of the 5K, said that her trip to Nicaragua with the Bucknell Brigade during January of her first year motivated her to get involved with the Bucknell Brigade on campus. She now also runs the fundraising committee for the organization.

“When I returned, I realized how important it was to remain involved with the Bucknell Brigade on campus in order to help support the medical clinic in Nicaragua,” Weaver said.

Pre-registration for the race was held in the Elaine Langone Center mall from Sept. 15-19 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The price of pre-registration is $15, or $20 for registering the day of the event.

“All of the proceeds from the 5K go to a free medical clinic in Nicaragua. The Bucknell Brigade funds the clinic so that it is free to the people there who cannot afford medical care,” Weaver said.