Early Competition Prepares First-Year Rowers for season ahead: Women’s Rowing Team sweeps third, fourth and fifth place

Emily Evancho, Managing Editor

With the fall leaves reflecting off the Susquehanna River in the early October light, six Bison boats of the women’s rowing team entered the water to compete against Drexel and Lehigh on Oct. 5. Although Drexel pulled into first and second place, three of the Orange and Blue teams captured third, fourth, and fifth place. This event also gave the team’s first-years their first opportunity to get their toes wet and begin their careers with the rowing team.

“The race this weekend was mainly to give the freshmen on the team their first chance to compete as part of Bucknell Athletics,” coxswain Kate Hickes ’15 said. “As an upperclassman, it was exciting seeing the freshmen racing for the first time as collegiate athletes, and all their hard work from this fall really showed.”

Drexel’s boats finished in 21:29 and 21:43. The first Bison boat to pull in was 12 seconds after the second Drexel boat. Following further back were the second and third Bison boats in 22:16 and 22:26.

“The race this weekend was really exciting for us … We were very pleased with the hard work and determination that went into each individual boat. Every single member of our team gave it their all this weekend, and we can’t wait to see what the spring season will bring us,” said Megan Mullin ’17, the sixth seat for the third place Bison boat.

After completing this fall competition, the women’s rowing team has begun training for their 2015 season which will kick off this coming January.