Fall Concert

Gillian Feehan, Campus Life Editor

On Oct. 25, the Concert Committee supplied a day’s worth of entertainment for the University with talks by “The Buried Life” cast and a performance by Jason Derulo and Schoolboy Q.

Prior to the concert, the cast of the MTV show “The Buried Life” gave a talk called “Life, Death, and Lists” in the Elaine Langone Center (ELC) Forum. The cast discussed how they turned a two-week summer project into a full TV show and eventually a career.

“They really emphasized that if you want to do something, you should go out and do it because anyone can do it if they can,” Lexi Klein ’15 said.

On Oct. 24, the Concert Committee received word that Chance the Rapper canceled his Saturday performance at the University. The Concert Committee and the University are no strangers to artists backing out of their commitments at the last minute, and this year, the Concert Committee was able to quickly remedy the problem. Before the campus even knew that Chance the Rapper had canceled, the Concert Committee had already secured another performer: Schoolboy Q.

“Once the committee heard the news about Chance, our adviser, Dean Conrad, and our middle agent immediately starting looking for a possible replacement act. The committee generated a list of potential performers that were similar in genre to Chance and we sent that list to our middle agent. We wanted to find an artist that would appeal to the Chance fans. After a lot of hard work, at approximately 4:43 a.m., our agent was able to secure Schoolboy Q,” Blair Francke ’16, a member of the Concert Committee Executive Board, said.

Schoolboy Q, a hip hop artist from Los Angeles, kicked off the concert with an excellent performance. Schoolboy Q performed some of his hit songs like “Studio” and “Man of the Year.”

Then, Jason Derulo finally took the stage. Derulo played a long set full of his biggest songs, such as “Talk Dirty,” “Wiggle,” and “Ridin’ Solo.” Aside from a great vocal performance, Derulo also put on a visual show full of dancing and tricks. At one point in the concert, Derulo pulled up five University women to have a “twerk-off.” Whoever received the loudest cheers won the contest, but all five women were invited backstage after the performance to meet Derulo.

Overall, the fall concert was a huge success. The Concert Committee brought some amazing artists to campus, and all who attended the concert seemed to really enjoy themselves.

“Overall, I am very pleased with how the concert went! I have heard nothing but great reviews from my peers, and many students were even more excited to see Schoolboy Q. The Concert Committee puts a lot of hard work and effort into planning and organizing the fall concert, and I am happy that everything turned out as great as it did,” Franke said.

“I thought that Jason put on not just a concert, but a great performance. My friends and I had a really fun time!” Paige Lommerin ’16 said.