University’s Opera Company performs Stephen Sondheim’s “Company”

Emily Meringolo, Staff Writer

On Nov. 14 and 16, the music building came alive with the Bucknell Opera Company’s performances of the Tony Award winning musical “Company” by Stephen Sondheim. The performances were held on Nov. 14 at 7:30 p.m. and  Nov. 16 at 2 p.m. in the Natalie Davis Rooke Recital Hall.

This was the first time the Bucknell Opera Company has performed a musical.

“Stephen Sondheim’s work delves into both musical theater as well as opera,” Marcus Schenck ’16 said.  

“Company” is about a bachelor named Bobby, played by tenor Tim Lambert ’17. Bobby is celebrating his 35th birthday and begins to realize that all of his friends are married while he is still living like a reckless young man.

The talented students of the Opera Company, donned in black costume, let their voices soar as they took on the roles of older married couples celebrating their bachelor friend’s birthday. Each vignette was performed with clarity and professionalism.

“Sondheim’s conversational dialogue really made it easy for me to relate to the characters in ‘Company.’ It was really fun and rewarding to share these personal moments onstage with the entire cast as well as with our audiences,” Allison Aaron ’16, who played the character of Amy, said.

The audience laughed along with the humor and delivery of the Opera Company as the comicality of marriage filled the theater.

“It was cool to see the Opera Company perform a musical in a small setting. The actors and actresses did a great job balancing the laughs and the heavier subject matter,” Mary Morris ’15 said.