Winter Sports Recap/Audrey Dotson Feature

Barbara Bell, Sports Editor

Lauren Whelan, Assistant Sports Editor

Women’s basketball captain Audrey Dotson ’15 spent the last few minutes of her game at Binghamton on Dec. 28 being constantly placed in chances in the press box. Without realizing it, she was on the cusp of a major milestone. Head coach Aaron Roussell wanted to get her to the free throw line.

Sure enough, with five seconds remaining in regular playing time, Dotson was fouled. By making one of her two free throws, she finished the game with her 1,000th career point. The Orange and Blue’s 68-57 win on the road over Binghamton not only earned Dotson her 1,000th career point as a Bison but also celebrated Roussell’s 200th career win as head coach. Dotson became the 21st player in program history to shoot through the 1,000 point barrier.

“I knew I was close to 1,000, but I didn’t know exactly how many more points I needed.  Towards the end of the game, Coach Roussell kept placing me near the press break to keep getting fouled, and I kind of forgot why, until the last few free throws. It was really cool that we could both share that moment in the same day, in the same game. He’s a great guy, a great coach, and really deserves that accomplishment,” Dotson said.

Dotson insists the milestone is a nice addition to her resume, but does not see it as a majorly defining moment as she heads into the final stretch of her career.

“To be honest, scoring 1,000 points wasn’t something I really thought about coming in as a freshman or even up through my junior year. It’s a neat thing to say senior year that I was able to do that, but I see the points more as reflection of the journey I’ve been on,” Dotson said.

The personal victory comes on the heels of an exciting and whirlwind season for women’s basketball. In recent games, the Orange and Blue have maintained leads by large margins, and prior to the Dec. 28 game, the Bison had a three-game winning streak. Dotson’s success serves as a further accolade as the team eyes a Patriot League Championship.

“I know I feel [that] a PL Championship is something personally that I want in my last season, so a team win in that would be an accomplishment in and of itself. I will do whatever I can to make that happen,” Dotson said.

Dotson notes that she has experienced “a lot of growing” during her time at the University.

Amid multiple coaching and staff changes, she had to learn to redefine and question herself as a player, mostly as a result of being in a much more competitive environment where everyone’s the best.

“Freshman year was a big growing year for me because in high school you’re always one of the top people on your team,” Dotson said. The realization that “the best” wasn’t necessarily good enough anymore was a challenging moment for Dotson as an athlete.

“The fact that I did get my 1,000 points is something that should encourage other athletes in the community who are questioning their motivation. It’s worth it, and it’s totally achievable. It’s not over just because you aren’t playing the best,” Dotson said.

Men’s Basketball:

Recap: Posting a record of 9-10 so far this season, men’s basketball has had its strongest showings at home, boasting seven home wins to only two losses on their home court. The team has won its last two match-ups against opponents Navy and Army, gaining momentum as they move into their next few away matches at Loyola Maryland and Boston University.

Individual Awards: Madness Patriot Men’s Basketball Player of the Week

Women’s Basketball:

Recap: The women’s basketball team is having a successful season thus far, with a record of 12 wins and six losses. In the new year, the team has posted wins against Colgate, Lafayette, Navy, and Loyola Maryland. Highlights of the season include Audrey Dotson scoring her 1000th career point in a win against Binghamton and the team’s overtime win against Navy, who they beat for the first time since 2009.

Men’s Swimming and Diving:

Recap: The men’s swimming and diving team is 1-1 in the new year, most recently beating out Binghamton to gain some momentum as they look to capture a victory in their next match against Lehigh. The Bison were recognized as many members of the team were awarded by the Patriot League for their outstanding performances so far this season.

Individual Awards: Jon Jones ’15, Corvias Male Diver of the Week 12/8; Chris Devlin ’18, Patriot League Weekly Honorable Mention 12/8 and 1/12; Tyler Wenzel ’16, Corvias Male Diver of the Week 1/12

Women’s Swimming and Diving:

Recap: Off to a strong start in the new year, women’s swimming and diving has tallied two wins against Army and Binghamton. Looking to continue the winning streak, the women’s team will face Lehigh in their next match.

Individual Awards: Emma Levendoski ’16, Corvias Female Swimmer of the Week 12/8; Tara Boyle ’15, Corvias Female Diver of the Week 12/8 and 1/12; Julianna Foss ’18, Patriot League Weekly Honorable Mention 1/12

Men’s Indoor Track and Field:

Recap: The men’s track and field team picked up after a long break to begin 2015 with the Penn State Relays. Highlights included a first-place finish in the high jump from Nicholas Lombardo ’18 and a recording-shattering first-place finish from Andrew Garcia-Garrison ’15 in the 3,000 meter run.

Individual Awards: Grant Reynolds ’16, Patriot League Weekly Honorable Mention 12/8; Jack Fellows ’15, Patriot League Weekly Honorable Mention 12/8; Andrew Garcia-Garrison ’15, Patriot League Male Track Athlete of the Week 1/12; Brian Monahan ’15, Patriot League Weekly Honorable Mention 1/12

Women’s Indoor Track and Field:

Recap: Women’s indoor track and field began the new year with the Penn Relays, highlighted by two Bison athletes breaking into the top ten program history. Efe Agege ’18 and Lauren Hudson ’18 each placed in the top ten in the triple jump and high jump, respectively.

Individual Awards: Jenna Calandro ’18, M-F Athletic Patriot League Female Rookie of the Week 12/8; Kim Nagotko ’15, Patriot League Weekly Honorable Mention 12/8, Patriot League Female Athlete of the Week 1/12

Wrestling:

Recap: Men’s wrestling had several notable wins over winter break, including meets against Virginia, Davidson, Hofstra, Michigan State, Nebraska Kearney, and Rider. At the two-day Virginia Dual tournament, Joe Stolfi ’15 and Robert Schlitt ’16 had pins. The team is now 8-3, with a successful winning streak in the new year thanks to home wins over George Mason and Sacred Heart.

Other Notable Awards:

Women’s Soccer – Courtney Nelson ’15, NSCAA All Region Third Team

Men’s Soccer – Jesse Klug ’16, NSCAA All Region Second Team; Chris Thorsheim ’16, NSCAA All Region First Team