A capella groups unite for B.A.C.E.S

Courtney Wren, Campus Life Editor

Bucknell Advancing Communities, Educating and Serving (B.A.C.E.S.) held its annual a capella concert on Feb. 5 at the Campus Theatre. B.A.C.E.S., a student-led service group, travels to the Dominican Republic over spring break. The students assist the community through various projects and discuss issues of poverty, race, and gender. The concert included performances by Beyond Unison, The Bison Chips, The Offbeats, Two Past Midnight, and The Silhouettes. Each group performed three or four songs for the audience.

“It was a great way to spend my Friday afternoon,” Sarah Cattano ’18 said. “The groups were all entertaining to watch, and the best part is that all of the funding went to help the B.A.C.E.S. trip.”

Past B.A.C.E.S. projects include helping to establish a school, handing out food for families in need, setting up a medical post to help with dental care, handing out medications, and providing education about hygiene. Ahmed Elnaiem ’16, a B.A.C.E.S. participant, thought that the fundraiser was a success.

“In past years, we have struggled with attendance, so it was truly heartening to see so many student, faculty, and community members in attendance at the Campus Theatre this year,” Elnaiem said. “We were able to set a new fundraising record that evening, and we look forward to using the proceeds to fund our community development initiatives in the Dominican Republic next month.”

Jen Terry ’16, a member of Beyond Unison, was happy to help the cause. “It was so exciting to see the entire theatre packed with students, professors, and community members,” she said said.

“Performing at the B.A.C.E.S. concert is always a very rewarding experience because we get to use our talent to help those in need,” Terry continued. 

Daisy Fornengo ’18, a member of The Silhouettes, echoed those sentiments. “We look forward to singing at the B.A.C.E.S. concert every year. It’s a great time and an even greater cause,” she said.

The event was free of charge but there was a five dollar suggested donation at the door. All proceeds from the concert will go toward B.A.C.E.S. projects in the Dominican Republic.