A new home for news

Charles Beers, Assistant News Editor

This fall semester brought many changes to The Bucknellian, the most important of which is the move to its new permanent home in Stuck House. Stuck House is located between Seventh Street Café and Smith Hall, in a small building that used to house the University’s Rabbi. The University’s only student-run weekly newspaper now shares the Stuck House space with WVBU, the University’s student-run radio station.

Previously, The Bucknellian newsroom/offices and the WVBU radio station were located in the basement of Roberts Hall. Once reconstruction began on the now-renovated Roberts Hall in January 2016, the newspaper had temporary offices in the Rooke Chemistry building.

Stuck House was renovated over the summer in preparation for both student media outlets. The newfound availability came at an ideal time for the two student media groups, both of whom expressed interest in a more centralized location.

Associate Dean of Students Kari Conrad expressed her excitement about how well the changes were implemented during the transition period. “Timing worked to our advantage,” Conrad said. “The Stuck House became available as we were searching for a location for a combined student media presence—something that both students and staff have discussed for some time.”

Conrad also shared, “Both organizations were excited about the possibilities for better collaboration, communication and sharing of resources.”

Editor-in-Chief of The Bucknellian Morgan Gisholt Minard said, “The Bucknellian’s space has been in need of an upgrade for some time now, and we’ve been very pleased with how well the transition and new location have worked for us. This is the first time in many decades that the paper hasn’t been housed in a basement, so we are literally and figuratively moving up in the world.”

“I love that WVBU has a central location on campus, and is no longer in a dark basement,” WVBU Promotions Manager Maggie Fischer ’19. “I think it’s really going to help WVBU become more prominent.”

In celebration of The Bucknellian’s 120th anniversary on campus, the current editorial board will host a reception during Homecoming Weekend. The reception will take place on Oct. 22 from 5 to 6 p.m. Current and alumni members of the newspaper are invited to tour the new space and network with the current staff. Light refreshments will be served.