Bison sports mid-semester recap

Becky Chambers, Contributing Writer

Men’s cross country

Cross country is going to the Patriot League Championships Oct. 29. Leading the stampede of running Bison are Luke Giugliano ’17, Drew Dorflinger ’20, Will Bordash ’18, Ross Pirnie ’17, and Jacob Stupak ’20. The Bison are ranked 10th in the Mid-Atlantic Region.

Football

After a huge win on Homecoming Weekend against Lafayette, the Bison stand 2-1 in the Patriot League. They have been struggling to fill holes left on their lines because of injuries, but Joey DeFloria ’18, Chad Freshnock ’20, and Bret Berg ’17 have delivered game after game.

Men’s soccer

The Bison have been on a roll this season, going 5-9-2 overall and 2-3-1 in the Patriot League. The squad has been led by top scorer Seb Blickman ’17, Adam Bradshaw ’17, Zack Rockmore ’17, Nick King ’20, and Tyler Peterson ’19. The Bison are gearing up to play against Lehigh on Oct. 29; the all-time record between the teams stands at 26-26-9.

Men’s golf

This season, the Bison have seen the lowest-season scoring average in team history with J.P. Raftery ’19 having an average score of 72.3. The team has finished in the top half for four out of seven competitions and finished its season on a high note by winning a field of 12 at the Lehigh Invitational.

Men’s swimming and diving

The Bison just jumped into their season and although they have one loss under their belt, the team saw some very promising races. Chris Devlin ’18 made a splash with four first place finishes. Louis Behnen ’17 joined Devlin and the 200-yard medley team with winning times.

Men’s Water polo

The Bison have been all over the country this season dominating their competition. They are 17-4 overall. Rade Joksimovic ’20 is the leading goal scorer for the team and has been backed up by Ratimir Babic ’17 and Nate Hunter ’17. They are heading into their final few weeks of competition and things are looking good for the Mid-Atlantic Water Polo Conference.

Women’s cross country

The women’s cross country team has been strong in the past and this year is no exception. The squad has been led by Christine Bendzinski ’18, Kate Scott ’17, and Sarah Chandler ’17. Oct. 29 they will be defending their crown as reigning Patriot League Champions, hopefully with ease.

Field hockey

The Bison have had a decent season with an 8-8 record. They have faced some tough competition in ranked teams and have stood their ground well. Nicole Rupnik ’19 has led the scoreboard alongside Stephanie Dressler ’18 and Brittany Willwerth ’20. Their season wraps up on Oct. 29 and Patriot League Championship games start Nov. 4.

Women’s golf

The women’s golf team had strong competition this year. They were led by Lindsay Dodovich ’18 with an average score of 78.4. They have finished up play for the season, coming in sixth of nine at the Lehigh Invitational.

Women’s soccer

The Bison have worked tirelessly all season and their record reflects this. The team is 13-1-2 overall and 7-1 in Patriot League play. Kendall Ham ’18 and Maddie Mulford ’18 have led the offense while Jessica Ratner ’17 has held down the goal with an 84.8 save percentage. 

Women’s swimming and diving

The Bison are off to a slow start after their opening weekend, but there is time for improvement. Based off of second-place finishes from Julianna Foss ’18 and Emma Hadley ’20, there is a good chance the Bison will deliver.

Volleyball

The volleyball team has had a bit of a rough season, finishing 4-18 overall and 2-8 in the Patriot League. Despite the record, many players had a good season including Hailey Stout ’18, Bridgette Holland ’20, Blake Buchholz ’19, and Selby Schnobrich ’20.