Upcoming Sex Week to focus on positivity and education on sex and consent

Megan Hays, Staff Writer

The University’s Speak UP organization will be hosting workshops, lectures, and other events surrounding the issue of consensual sex and sexuality from Feb. 12–17. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, Sex Week will encourage students to start open and honest conversations about healthy relationships, human sexuality, and safe sex.

“Sex Week, at its core, is about knowledge, empowerment, and choice,” Interpersonal Violence Prevention Coordinator Rachel Stewart said.

Some of the Sex Week events include a healthy relationships workshop, which will discuss how to properly ask for consent and establish boundaries with partners, and “Sexploration” with feminist sex educator Tristan Taormino, who will work to promote sexual positivity of all sexual orientations and gender identities.

“The goal of Sex Week is to promote sex positivity, conversations around sex and to advocate for healthy relationships and consent,” Ashley Lutjen Sandonato ’17, a Sex Week committee member and Speak UP peer, said.

The upcoming events are also dedicated to sharing advice about patience and respect for romantic partners, body image, understanding sexual identity, consent, and related issues. University students can RSVP for these events on The Bridge or Speak UP’s website. A call ahead appointment is necessary for the free STD clinic at Bucknell Student Health.

“I think these sorts of things are very helpful for the Bucknell community to not only become familiar with resources but also hopefully make sex a less taboo topic on campus, which I feel could help create a culture of consent on campus,” Caroline MacLure ’17, a Speak UP peer, said.

The LC Mall will also be providing asexual valentines, free T-shirts, and themed buttons to those participating in Sex Week activities.