Athlete of the Week: Maddy Molinari ’17

Bri Pomonis, Sports Co-Editor

If you were to say lacrosse runs in the Molinari family, you wouldn’t be far from the truth. The youngest of six Division I lacrosse players, Maddy Molinari ’17, is no exception.

Growing up in her lacrosse-frenzied hometown of Manhasset, N.Y. alongside five older siblings who would play Division I lacrosse, the sport was a family affair in the Molinari household. Watching her siblings excel led to the friendly sibling rivalry that gave her the drive to develop into the player she is today.

“Lacrosse was bigger than just a sport, it was our life. I grew up walking around with a lacrosse stick in my hand and my brothers constantly threw me in goal so they could practice shooting, which inherently made me want to get better than them,” Molinari said.

It’s no surprise, then, that Molinari continued the family tradition of playing in college. Drawn to the opportunity to play both lacrosse and field hockey, Bison athletics proved to be the perfect fit. Molinari was unable to continue with field hockey after her first year, but the lacrosse program has continually reaped the benefits of having her on the field.

Molinari wasted no time in establishing herself as a team leader during her first-year season by finishing as the team’s third-leading scorer with 21 points on 13 goals and eight assists. Her return sophomore year saw her tally 28 goals and 38 points in 16 of 17 games, making her the team’s leading scorer and ranking her seventh in the Patriot League for shots per game (4.8). Molinari continued her top-three scoring streak into her junior season, and already has had two multiple-points outputs in games this season with three against Monmouth and a career-high five goals against Wagner this season. Another one of Molinari’s crowning accomplishments was being named a captain during her junior year.

“I enjoy working as a member of the team towards one common goal where the results and achievements are not only far greater than one can achieve individually, but mutually beneficial for all. I am very fortunate to call my teammates my family. We work together, we succeed together, we fail together, but most importantly, we grow together,” Molinari said.

In her final season for the Orange and Blue, Molinari looks forward to extending the upward trend that has continued through her college career. The captain cites that remaining hungry for more out of herself and teammates is the biggest key to making this season their best. Rematches against closely-contested Patriot League rivals Navy, Lehigh, and Colgate will, without a doubt, be highlights of her career.

A new chapter will begin for Molinari after she steps off the college field for the last time. But after a lifetime spent playing and fueling a love for the sport, it is unlikely that the end of the season will be her exit from the lacrosse world.

“The thought of this being my final season of lacrosse is surreal. Ending this chapter of my life is going to be very difficult because it has been my life for the past 20 years,” Molinari said. “I will always have a spot for lacrosse in my life, whether that be coaching other Manhasset kids and giving back to my community or playing with my niece in the backyard. I hope to share and spread my love for the game to those who aspire to play.”