First hairline crack in Holmes drywall spotted. How long until it all falls down?

Siobhan Nerz, Contributing Writer

Since the opening of Holmes Hall in Fall 2021, many students of the Freeman College of Management and the Art and Art History department have been enjoying its classrooms and study spaces. The building, boasting large windows and pristine walls on the outside, seems to be a positive addition to campus. However, as the new car smell fades, students are now noticing issues with Holmes. 

Wade Moore ’24 learned first hand about Holmes’ deficiencies when he accidently tested the weight-bearing capability of his chair. After falling from his seat, Moore suddenly lost interest in his Management 101 class as he failed to account for the hardship of finding adequate furniture in Holmes. Thus, it seems that the defects of the chairs have affected students’ learning.

Similarly, Justin Thyme ’22 has taken issue with Holmes. Last week, while rushing to painting class, student Thyme was hit by a mysterious white material. Initially, he thought the substance on his coat was snow from the recent storm. However, when the material failed to melt, he realized that the chipping ceiling paint was the culprit. 

After their recent issues with Holmes, both Moore and Thyme made separate reports to the University, requesting that the school put more money into fixing the new building. Despite these complaints, Robyn Banks ’95, a University representative, replied that they would not invest any more funds into the building. 

In response to the deficiencies of Holmes and the University’s lack of action, students took matters (in this case, building repairs) into their own hands. The art department is giving one extra credit point for every square inch of wall-space a student paints. While the paint can be fixed, many of the broken chairs have missing screws and cannot be repaired. Therefore, students in sculpting classes are utilizing the parts to create art that makes statements on the lack of sustainability in consumer culture. 

Overall, many students and faculty find Holmes’ revival hopeless as new research in the geology department suggests that the building rests on a sinkhole. It’s almost like another, more culturally relevant building was there previously. Thus, while the broken furniture and chipping paint are troubling, the building may be in a deeper mess than previously expected.