Gruver awarded Scott Professorship

By Hannah Zachary

William Gruver, distinguished clinical professor of management and executive-in-residence, was recently named the Howard I. Scott Clinical Professor of Global Commerce, Strategy and Leadership. This position recognizes his extensive involvement on campus and will allow him to interact more with students. He will now extend the courses he teaches beyond the school of management into the College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences.

During his time as an executive at Goldman Sachs, Gruver developed extensive knowledge for international business, which has helped his teaching at the University.

“Over the years, my role at Bucknell has evolved from just teaching students of the School of Management,” Gruver said.

Gruver teaches courses in International Relations and other Common Learning Agenda courses in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Gruver has also become involved with select engineering students. Along with Professor Stephen Stamos, Gruver serves as an adviser for the Institute of Leadership in Technology and Management (ILTM). Gruver said the program was “a natural extension of [his] work at Goldman Sachs” because he gets to work with people with great technical and organizational skills.

Through ILTM, he is able to meet students from all five engineering majors as well as the liberal arts. Praised by all of his students, Gruver is most commonly described as “inspiring.”

“Gruver is the reason I have chosen to become a Nuclear Propulsion Officer in the U.S. Navy … he has helped me discover my potential and my future,” mathematics major Sarah Bowen ’11 said. Doug Gordon ’10, a neuroscience major, has gone to Gruver for advice on a start-up company he and a friend are working on.

“Because of Professor Gruver’s success in a variety of professional disciplines, his comments and advice greatly enhanced my confidence in the solution we came up with and our overall business plan,” Gordon said.

With his new title, he will continue to teach four courses a year, but will have opportunities to teach courses beyond the School of Management. He will be the new advisor to students in the College of Engineering on the five -year plan.

Mark Elliot, senior development advisor, said Gruver’s endowed position is a great opportunity for the School of Management.

“Endowments guarantee a professor’s salary, so what would have been budgeted for his position can be reallocated to other areas of the department or used to take on more staff,” he said.

The University has continued to work on securing more endowments for faculty, offering two others in different departments over the past month.

William Gruver, distinguished clinical professor of management and executive-in-residence, was recently named the Howard I. Scott Clinical Professor of Global Commerce, Strategy and Leadership. This position recognizes his extensive involvement on campus and will allow him to interact more with students. He will now extend the courses he teaches beyond the school of management into the College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences.During his time as an executive at Goldman Sachs, Gruver developed extensive knowledge for international business, which has helped his teaching at the University. “Over the years, my role at Bucknell has evolved from just teaching students of the School of Management,” Gruver said. Gruver teaches courses in International Relations and other Common Learning Agenda courses in the College of Arts and Sciences. Gruver has also become involved with select engineering students. Along with Professor Stephen Stamos, Gruver serves as an adviser for the Institute of Leadership in Technology and Management (ILTM). Gruver said the program was “a natural extension of [his] work at Goldman Sachs” because he gets to work with people with great technical and organizational skills. Through ILTM, he is able to meet students from all five engineering majors as well as the liberal arts. Praised by all of his students, Gruver is most commonly described as “inspiring.” “Gruver is the reason I have chosen to become a Nuclear Propulsion Officer in the U.S. Navy … he has helped me discover my potential and my future,” mathematics major Sarah Bowen ’11 said. Doug Gordon ’10, a neuroscience major, has gone to Gruver for advice on a start-up company he and a friend are working on. “Because of Professor Gruver’s success in a variety of professional disciplines, his comments and advice greatly enhanced my confidence in the solution we came up with and our overall business plan,” Gordon said. With his new title, he will continue to teach four courses a year, but will have opportunities to teach courses beyond the School of Management. He will be the new advisor to students in the College of Engineering on the five -year plan.Mark Elliot, senior development advisor, said Gruver’s endowed position is a great opportunity for the School of Management. “Endowments guarantee a professor’s salary, so what would have been budgeted for his position can be reallocated to other areas of the department or used to take on more staff,” he said. The University has continued to work on securing more endowments for faculty, offering two others in different departments over the past month.