University celebrates Family Weekend

By Nicki Briggs

The University’s campus was overflowing with parents and siblings of students last weekend.  The beautiful weather provided a suitable environment for the activities and events available for students and their parents.  

“Freshman parents get to see how well we are adjusting to the college environment.  It was also nice for them to see where we’ve been living for the past month and what they’re paying for,” Lindsey Nourse ’15 and Tyler Wind ’15 said.

Family Weekend appeals to everyone on campus.

“It provides a good setting for students to introduce parents to Bucknell beyond what they see in an admissions visit or another weekend during the year.  The activities over Family Weekend really provide insight into life at Bucknell,” Arielle Barnett ’14 said. 

After checking in at the Family Weekend Welcome Center, families attended numerous events hosted by the University. The weekend athletic events included field hockey and both men’s and women’s soccer games. There was an orchestra concert, performances in Rooke Chapel by all five campus a cappella groups and a comedy show by improv group We Brake for Nobody. There were also information sessions for parents and students interested in learning more about study abroad programs, financial aid and other topics.

While Family Weekend often caters to first-year students and their families, the University provides a unique experience for family members of all students students on campus.

“I love updating my parents about everything that’s been happening at Bucknell, but when they’re actually here and can see the places I study, my friends, and my sorority suite, they actually get to see my Bucknell life.  Plus the home cooked meals they bring and the hugs are always the best,” Sarah Dubow ’13 said.  

The University attracts multi-generational Bucknell families as well.  Those who attended in previous years enjoy visiting their children and grandchildren at the school and seeing how things have changed and stayed the same.

“I was once a student at Bucknell, so it’s great to be able to come back with my family and relive all the amazing memories,” Sue Romagnoli ’87 said.

The weekend concluded with the Paint Bucknell Pink 5K walk/run on Sunday morning.