Editorial: Greek life changes are a good step, yet flawed

The recent changes made to the University’s Greek system have elicited much debate amongst The Bucknellian staff. On the one hand, we feel compelled to commend the administration, as well as the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils, for their role in actively trying to improve such a vital portion of the University’s social foundation. At the same time, we feel we must question the policies that they are putting in place to make those changes.

By changing the P4P requirements, the University has, theoretically, improved the way we as students view community service and guest lecturers. Now we will go to these opportunities because we want to, not because we have to, and we will get more out of it.

The problem with this logic is twofold. First, we are college students, which means we are busy with schoolwork, with clubs and with all sorts of activities. Although some students may want to go to speakers or community service events, they may not go if they are not forced to, simply because they want a break in their busy day or want to finish their homework before midnight.

The second problem lies in the fact that “Greeks” do not know exactly what will happen if they don’t meet a certain number of community service hours. Though the hours are no longer required, the administration could still hold a chapter accountable for not doing them. The Bucknellian staff hopes this is not simply a “test” from the administration in hopes of getting chapters in trouble, and eventually minimizing Greek presence on campus.

Finally, we feel the new six-week plan to educate first-years on Greek Life contradicts the administration’s stance from the past semester. It seems as if the University has frowned upon the importance of Greek Life on campus, and would like to see it become a less significant portion of the social reality here. If this new Greek education class is implemented, it seems the importance of fraternity and sorority life to first-years will be amplified. This class will make Greek Life a bigger deal than it already is.

We appreciate the steps the University is taking to improve the atmosphere of this campus, but we also must question the steps it is taking to accomplish its goals. Unfortunately, the recent changes may look good theoretically, but could prove detrimental in practice.