Women's lax remains winless in conference play

By Ajan Caneda

The women’s lacrosse team was unable to pick up its first conference victory this past weekend, falling to Lafayette 14-11 in Easton, Pa. Lafayette held the Bison scoreless for the final 12:30, allowing the Leopards to hand the Bison their ninth loss of the season.

Midfielder Sophie Kleinart ’14 scored a team-high three goals, while Katelyn Miller ’14, Ryan Wenk ’13 and Lindsey Ferro ’14 had two goals each.

“Our main goal going into the game against Lafayette was to win draw controls and keep possession,” Miller said. “[Ana White], who takes the draw for Lafayette, leads the nation in draw controls, so it was really crucial for us to be aggressive and give it our all right from the whistle.”

The Bison got off to an early 4-1 lead behind two goals from Miller and an unassisted goal by Arriana Sajjad ’15. Neither team could gain a comfortable edge. The Orange and Blue were able to attempt more shots (15-12) in the first period, but the game remained close. Wenk closed out the period with a goal that gave the Bison a 7-6 lead at the half.

“We came out strong from the very beginning by getting a 4-1 lead, but the game kept going back and forth,” Miller said. “Our attack was really hard to stop because we had multiple threats who could score.”

An early goal in the second period knotted the score at 7-7, but the teams continued to trade goals. Emily Kookogey ’15 dished an assist to Ferro, while Wenk nailed her second goal of the game that gave the Orange and Blue a 10-8 lead. It would be short-lived, as the Leopards answered with two goals of their own. Lafayette took their first lead of the game with 13:53 remaining. Ferro evened the score back up off a free position shot, but that would be the last goal for the Bison.

The Orange and Blue were outshot 13-9 in the second half, while Lafayette held the draw control advantage in the game (15-12). The Leopards also capitalized on free position, scoring five goals off of seven attempts.

“We need to learn to stay composed when we are up and use the clock to our advantage. We didn’t exploit the man-up situations, which allowed [Lafayette] to come back,” Kleinart said.

The Bison look to get back on track against Holy Cross on Saturday in Worcester, Mass. This is the second match of a four-game road trip for the Orange and Blue.

“We definitely fought the whole way through and learned so much that I’m confident the next time we play them, we will be able to be much more competitive,” Miller said.