Bucknell hosts first ever combined Family and Homecoming Weekend
Acclaimed novelist Colson Whitehead named Janet Weis Fellow
The Laundry Cycle: Breaking the bank for clean clothes
Bytes of Insight: Diane Jakacki, Digital Scholarship Coordinator

September 29, 2023

Men’s Water Polo finishes weekend 2-0 on the road

September 29, 2023

Women’s Volleyball secures first two Patriot League victories

September 29, 2023

Bison Athlete of the Week: Lindsay Horbatuck '13

Andrew Arnao

Sports Editor

Lindsay Horbatuck ’13 has been a cornerstone for the women’s basketball team this season as well as a huge reason for the team’s success. Horbatuck is in the middle of her fourth and final season with the Bison, bringing with her experience and mental toughness that has contributed positively to the team’s 7-4 record since the start of Winter Break, as well as an overall 12-7 record that is second best in the Patriot League.

Horbatuck’s 62 offensive rebounds lead the team by a long way, as do her 131 defensive rebounds. Overall, her total rebounds lead the Patriot League. Horbatuck is also very capable of snatching the ball away from opposing teams, as indicated by her 18 steals in 19 games. Horbatuck also averages 7.9 points per game.

Following back-to-back losses in early December, Horbatuck put up 12 points to help the Bison win against Towson, and scored 11 points to aid the Bison in their 69-62 overtime win against St. Peter’s. She also scored 10 points against Colgate, a game in which every point was needed in an eventual 53-51 buzzer-beater victory.

Horbatuck saved her most clutch performance of the season for last weekend’s game against Lafayette. After losing a 15-point lead, the Bison were suddenly in a 48-46 nail biter with 57 seconds to go. After an intense final minute, Horbatuck was fouled with 0:02 remaining in regulation. Horbatuck, with a 0.614 success rate from the foul line this season, sunk her two subsequent free throws to give the Bison a 50-46 lead. Those two points proved crucial as Lafayette sunk a three-pointer at the buzzer to give the Bison a narrow 50-49 victory.

“Basketball is a team sport and I think that all of my teammates work hard every day in practice which translates to the games and helps us come up with the victory,” Horbatuck said. “I think that the team has been putting in a lot of effort and we are figuring out what our identity is and what we need to do as a team to win games.”

Horbatuck and the rest the Bison will aim to continue their hard work in their upcoming home games against Holy Cross tomorrow at 2 p.m. and American on Jan. 3o.

Hometown: Avon, Conn.

Major: Elementary Education

18 starts in 18 games, 547 total minutes

53/120 field goals (0.442)

Rebounds: 188 rebounds (leads team)

Steals: 18 (second most on team)