Alpha Xi Delta recruits support for spring arrival

Courtesy of Alpha Xi Delta
Courtesy of Alpha Xi Delta

Sarah Antonacci

Contributing writer

As many have seen from the signs around campus, Alpha Xi Delta is a new sorority that is coming to the University this spring. They have had a few events to introduce themselves and they have a few more coming up soon.  At these meetings, they share information about their national chapter with the University.

Although Alpha Xi Delta is new to the University, it is established on other college campuses. Their philanthropy is Autism Speaks, which is a foundation that sponsors research to cure autism and also holds outreach programs to inform the public about the disease. On campus, the sorority is looking to recruit a cohesive group of girls who are leaders, and who are involved, motivated and academically successful. Alpha Xi Delta’s colors are light blue, dark blue and gold, or as they refer to them: “double blue gold.”

Penn State is the closest college campus with an Alpha Xi Delta chapter and there is a possibility of hosting events together in the future. The founders of the chapter here at the University are committed to creating an exciting social calendar to create sisterly bonds and to become involved in the school. At the open house last Thursday, the founders described one benefit of joining a new sorority on campus:  the pledge class gets to decide the nickname, whether it is “Alpha Delta,” “Alpha Xi,” or another combination. They also get to start their own traditions and reputation, as they are the founding class.

If anyone is interested in learning more about Alpha Xi Delta, they are hosting a few more public events in the near future. A few key dates are Jan. 29, Jan. 31 and Feb. 5. You will see them around campus handing out cards and flyers about upcoming events and more information.