Women's golf opens season

Emily Evancho

The women’s golf team swung into season last weekend at the Edwin Watts Kiawah Classic in South Carolina, finishing with a collective score of 335 on March 5. Jen Lee ’16 led the team, beginning the weekend with a 79 and finishing with the Orange and Blue’s lowest score at 81.

“This weekend was rough for us, [but] considering it was our first time on grass for the season, I think we did fairly well. I think we held our own,” Lee said.

Emily Timmons ’15 and Lee carried the Bison on the first round of the Kiawah Classic. Lee jumpstarted the Bison’s performance with a par-birdie start, ending with a score of 79. Timmons followed in Lee’s path, posting 1-under par for the final five holes, giving her an end score of 80.

Bridget Wilcox ’14 pulled ahead on March 4 by shooting one birdie and 11 pars, carding a 78. Kasha Scott ’14 posted a final score of 80, helping Wilcox to aid the Bison’s concluding score of 329 in the second round.

The Bison finished the Classic with a team score of 335 on March 5. Lee struggled in the middle of her round, but ended strongly with the Bison’s lowest score of 81. Scott and Wilcox both carded 84’s, joining Lee in posting the team’s best scores for the day. They were closely followed by Timmons’ final score of 86.

“We had some stellar rounds posted by both Jen Lee and Emily Timmons which was really exciting. Even though we didn’t perform our best this weekend, we definitely are working our way towards posting up some great scores. I bet we are going to go low in Las Vegas next week,” Scott said.

The women’s golf team will return to action on March 14 for the Second Annual Bison Challenge at Paiute in Las Vegas.