Five Lady Bison take gold in Winter Classic

By Joyce Novacek

Five Bison took gold for the women’s track team at the Bucknell Winter Classic last Saturday. Beth Braunegg ’14 won the 1,000 meters, and the Bison swept the 500 meters with Erin Horleman ’14 leading the way.  In the field, the Orange and Blue posted impressive results in the shot put and pole vault.

Braunegg’s time of 2:54.75 seconds in the 1,000 meters was a personal best.

“I feel that last weekend’s performance set me up really well both mentally and physically,” Braunegg said. “I’m learning to set more ambitious goals and also to have more confidence in my capabilities.”

Thanks to her performance, Braunegg was deemed the Patriot League Rookie of the Week. This is the fifth consecutive week that a Bison has received this honor.

Horleman ran a time of 1:19.42 to win the gold in the 500 meters. Her teammate Valerie Sans ’13 took silver in the 500 meters, while teammate Hannah Jones ’14 placed third.

The Orange and Blue also continued their success on the field. Rebecca Frey ’11 and Emily Ando ’14 took first and second place in the pole vault, respectively, both clearing career-best heights.

In the throws, Sarah Bella ’12 was the victor of the shot put, throwing 41 feet, eight inches. Teammate Rebecca Misko ’12 finished second, and Laura Rycek ’11 placed fourth.

“The Winter Classic provided the team with a good experience and got everyone pumped up for the Patriot League Championships next weekend,” Bella said. “We have a very strong team this year, and I am very confident that we will do big things next weekend and make it a meet to remember.”

The Winter Classic wrapped up the regular season for the Bison, who will travel to Annapolis this weekend for the Patriot League Championships, hosted by Navy. Last year the Bison won the Patriot League title, defeating second-place Navy.

“Our primary focus going into Patriot Leagues this weekend is to support, encourage and motivate each other in order to ultimately win the championship,” Braunegg said.