Women's track places second in meet

By Joyce Novacek

Sasha Hornock ’13 and Sarah Bella ’12 won gold medals to help the women’s track team place second at the Patriot League Indoor Championships last weekend in Annapolis, Md.. Navy prevented the Bison from defending their title from last season, scoring 157 points compared to the Bison’s 117.

Hornock won the 60-meter dash, earning the first gold medal of her career. Also on the track, Jennifer Zymet ’14 placed second in the 400 meters and third in the 200.

In throws, Bella placed first in the shot put with a throw of 44 feet, 3.25 inches. Teammate Rebecca Misko ’12 took silver in the shot put.

Hornock and Bella were named first-team all-league, while Zymet and Misko earned second-team honors.

“Our focus going into the meet was for every person to score. We can only take 32 people to the Patriot League championships, so every person and every point counts,” Hornock said.

Many more Bison stayed true to their focus and earned points for the team. In the 60-meter hurdles, Taylor Funk ’12  and Jamie Leacock ’11 placed fourth and fifth, respectively. Both set new career-best times, and Funk broke nine seconds for the first time in her career.

The Orange and Blue had success in the jumps as well. Rebecca Frey ’11 earned bronze in the pole vault, and teammate Emily Ando ’14 finished in fourth. Casey Krause ’11 and Alexandra Romanelli ’13 earned third and fourth in the triple jump, respectively. In the long jump, Krause placed ninth with a season-best jump.

In the last 13 years, the Bison have either placed first or second at this Championship meet. In years when the Bison have failed to come in first, the Midshipmen have won every time.

“I’m proud of the team. Although it’s disappointing getting second, we competed with heart and Bucknell had great performances overall,” Hornock said. She also commented that this meet is a motivating force for the outdoor season.

“I believe the team performed well, but we are definitely still hungry for more. I think the team will use the outcome of this meet as a motivator to go after the spring championship title,” Bella said.

After a two-week break the Orange and Blue will travel to Boston for the ECAC Championship meet on March 5-6.