Women's basketball wins one, loses one

By Eric Weiss

The women’s basketball team defeated Colgate at home Saturday 79-64 but fell to Lehigh 72-39 on the road Wednesday.

Cosima Higham ’11 answered the bell on Senior Night for the Bison as she netted one of the most impressive games of her career. Leading all scorers with 22 points as well as pulling down six rebounds and dishing out five assists, she shot well over 80 percent for the game.

The Orange and Blue never allowed Colgate to get into the mix as they used their ability to score on second chance points all night. The Bison utilized a 14-6 run to build a 12-point halftime lead as the Colgate offense was anemic during many points of the game.

Coming out of the locker-room, the Bison held their lead steady until a 7-0 run just a few minutes into the second half put the game away.

“I think one of the many things that has helped us play so well this late in the season is that as a team we’re really starting to exploit how we can use our different strengths to score in a lot of different ways on offense,” Higham said.

Joining Higham in double figures was Shelby Romine ’14 with 17 points and Rachel Voss ’13 with 10 points.

In the Lehigh game, both the Mountain Hawks and Bison got off to slow starts on the offensive side of the ball as the Bison actually held a 14-13 lead with just under 11 minutes to play in the first half. At this point Lehigh continued its full-court press, causing the Bison to score only four more points in the half. By the time the buzzer sounded to end the first the Bison stared down the wrong end of a 34-18 score.

The story was much the same as the Mountain Hawks continued to pound the ball inside as the Bison committed multiple turnovers. With a 15-4 run in the second half, the team from Bethlehem, Pa. put the game out of reach for the Orange and Blue.

No member of the team was able to reach double digits in scoring. Taylor Phillips ’11 had the high mark for the team with eight.

We are still learning, I think that’s an important lesson,” Higham said. “We need to work on making sure that we stay together as a team.”

The Orange and Blue will play one final game before they begin Patriot League play as they take on Army at West Point. This game has serious implications for the seeding of the Patriot League Tournament so the Bison will fight hard to secure a quarterfinal home game during the Tournament.