Sixth annual Student Leadership Institute held

By Sam Krassenstein

Continuing Writer

Eight University alumni and parents returned to campus to share their leadership and career experiences with students at the sixth annual Student Leadership Institute this past weekend in the Elaine Langone Center (ELC).

Bill Saporito ’76, the Assistant Managing Editor at TIME Magazine and former editor-in-chief of The Bucknellian, was highlighted as the keynote speaker and spoke about his first professional writing gig: covering the Bruce Springsteen concert on campus in 1975.

Jay Talsania ’86, an orthopedic hand surgeon, told his story about bringing his family to impoverished areas in Central America to provide much-needed medical services through the Healing Hands Mission. Other speakers at the institute spoke about on topics such as team motivation, professional etiquette, and networking.  Students that attended the event had opportunities to network and learn from the alumni.

“The program was really beneficial for me and my classmates; we met some great alumni who were excited to be able to give back to the students,” Greg Gianis ’13 said.

The institute hosted a wide array of speakers from financial, government, and medical fields, such as alumni from Stifel Nicolaus, the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, and cds creative, inc. More than 70 students joined alumni in the ELC for the institute, learning about the endeavors of seasoned alumni.

“I enjoyed Jay’s speech about providing free medical services in Guatemala. I found his story to be very inspiring,” Stephanie Schneider ’14 said.

The Student Leadership Institute was put together by Residential Education and Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, and they are currently looking for students to help develop the event for next year.

“The Leadership Institute is a great opportunity for students to meet and interact with alumni who have gone on from Bucknell to hold various leadership positions and to affect positive change in their workplaces and communities,” said Beth Bouchard, the Director of New Student Orientation and Student Leadership Programs, who is in charge of this program.

Students interested in helping to program for next year’s institute can email Bouchard or visit ELC 306, the Office of Residential Education and Fraternity and Sorority Affairs.