Downtown Dance now open on Market Street

By Carolyn Williams

A new dance studio recently opened on the corner of Fifth and Market Street. Christine Rozolis, owner and artistic director of Downtown Dance, hopes to see many University students use the new facilities.

Rozolis, a Philadelphia native and dancer since she was three, moved to Lewisburg in July to open Downtown Dance.

“My parents, sister and uncle went to Bucknell, so I was comfortable with the area, and I like the charm of Lewisburg very much,” Rozolis said.

After completing college at UMass Amherst, Rozolis was unsure whether she wanted to pursue a dancing career.  She briefly worked in marketing and taught dancing on the side. Rozolis later decided to take the plunge and open Downtown Dance.

The new studio offers a number of different classes in both dance and Zumba targeting varying age groups, from Baby Ballet, Ballet Tap Combo and Beginner Jazz for younger dancers to advanced classes for more experienced dancers. Rozolis hopes University students will join her intermediate and advancedlevel Tap Club and lyrical classes.

In Tap Club, held on Mondays at 7 p.m., Rozolis leads warmups, but the class is mostly collaborative, focusing on team-building and learning new combinations. Rozolis describes her Adult Lyrical class (Tuesdays at 5 p.m.) as “a blend of ballet and dance set to modern soft rock and soundtrack songs.” Rozolis offers a student rate: $75 for 10 classes.

Downtown Dance’s Zumba classes are held on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. and on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. These classes are open to individuals of all dance levels and backgrounds, and Rozolis hopes to draw a crowd from both the University and Lewisburg communities.

The studios’ decor of cheery blue walls and large windows create an energetic class environment. Many students enjoyed the class and the different dance experience.

The class is a great workout; it’s amazing how much more fun you can have when you’re dancing to all sorts of fun music instead of watching the number of calories burned on the treadmill,” Liz Walker ’14 said of her first Zumba experience. “I can’t believe what a good time I had. I’ll be coming back again, and I’m definitely bringing my roommate next time. She’d love it.”