University Department of Theatre & Dance presents Blue Stockings

Back to Article
Back to Article

Clare Merante, Contributing Writer

Subheadline: University Department of Theatre and Dance presents a play about women trying to obtain the right to graduate

Pull-Out Quote: “‘Blue Stockings’ was an amazing production to take part in due to both its content and the community involved. We got to reflect back upon the time when women were fighting for the right to graduate and got to see how far we have come as a society, but how far we still have to go.” – Millo Lazarczyk ’21

The University’s Theatre and Dance Department presented the play “Blue Stockings” at Tustin Theatre from April 12 to April 15. Department Chair and Associate Professor of Theatre and Dance Anjalee Hutchinson directed the play. Cast members Emma Saloky ’21, Midge Zuk ’19, Uchechukwu Unigwe ’20, Jillian Flynn ’22, Kyle Cohick ’20, and Jon Riker ’22 played main characters in the production. The play also featured many University professors, including Associate Professor of Theatre and Dance Dustyn Martincich, Professor of German Studies and Humanities Katherine Faull, Professor of English Virginia Zimmerman, and Assistant Professor of Theatre and Dance Bryan Vandevender.

Set in Cambridge in the 1890s, “Blue Stockings” transforms the term “bluestockings” from an “expression of derision to a mark of perseverance,” Vandevender said. The play begins with four women at Girton College, Cambridge who are enthusiastic and dedicated to their studies. However, the young women are faced with challenges that threaten their academics. Throughout the play, the women at Girton College try to win the right for women to graduate as they explore the nuances and intricacies of the women’s movement.

Cast member Millo Lazarczyk ’21, who played the character Edwards, explained what it was like to be a part of the production, both as an artistic and learning experience. “‘Blue Stockings’ was an amazing production to take part in due to both its content and the community involved. We got to reflect back upon the time when women were fighting for the right to graduate and got to see how far we have come as a society, but how far we still have to go. The discussions this play generated about equality were relevant and insightful. It was amazing, fun, and a learning experience being able to go through a Chekhovian acting process alongside a supportive cast that became great friends,” Lazarczyk said.

The play featured an elegant set that incorporated the use of screens. These screens were instrumental in telling the story as some of the actors pre-recorded parts of their scenes. Useful information was given through the screens, such as time, place, and visual cues such as stars or leaves.

While the play ends on a somewhat sad note, as the women do not achieve the right to graduate, the women promise to continue to persevere. The screens informed the audience that after 50 years, the women were finally successful.

Intricate costumes were created and provided by the University’s costume shop. Assistant Costumer Daylee Reichenbach, who was the milliner for this play, provided the four main characters’ hats, made in the style of the times.

“I loved the story of the play. It conveyed the important historical perspective of women’s fight for higher education, while also looking through the relationship struggles of college women. It was so relevant to us here at Bucknell, and I’m so glad that I was able to contribute to the production,” assistant stage manager Megan Munter ’21 said.

The audience was hugely invested in the play, reacting along with the actors to the twists and turns that were experienced. At the end of the performances, a standing ovation was given.