The Bison Wrestling Team excels on the mat

Hannah Stuck, Contributing Writer

The Orange and Blue had an undefeated weekend on the mats, beating both Sacred Heart University and Drexel University. 

The Bison beat the Pioneers by pinning four opponents and also having three of the victories by fall between the 184 and 285-pound weight class. The Bison’s other victories all garnered bonus points, which has continued their six dual winning streak and made their total record 9-0 against Sacred Heart. 

Logan Deacetis ’25, Mason McCready ’23 and Luke Niemeyer ’23 each brought their opponents’ shoulders to the mat during the first period, with Niemayer the quickest at 1:49. Kolby DePron’25 had a standout performance, only taking 1:57 to make his opponent fall in the final bout. DePron’s victory was his team-leading 19th of the season, while Zach Hartman ’22 moved to 16-3 by winning by injury default.  

Darren Miller ’23 had a great night on the mat, having a 17-2 technical fall over his opponent. Brandon Seidman ’22 and Kurt Phipps ’24 also both performed very well, scoring major decisions. Phipps has improved his dual record to 10-1. Calvin Dalton ’25 had the first and fastest pin of the night, only taking 1:23.

This Orange and Blue put up 43 points throughout their match, becoming the highest of the 2021-2022 campaign. This was their first 43-point threshold since the 2015-2016 campaign. 

The Bison defeated Drexel in their second match of the weekend, winning 23-13. The Orange and Blue won six of the seven final bouts in order to continue their winning streak. 

Six wrestlers, Seidman, Phipps, Miller, Hartman, McCready and Niemeyer went 2-0 on the weekend. McCready, Phipps and Miller scored bonus points in both of their matches. In their matches in Drexel, these three athletes earned a major decision. Nick Delp ’24 won in an overtime decision, beating a 2021 and 2019 NCAA qualifier. Delp beat the Dragon opponent 13-11 in the first sudden-victory period. 

Delp spoke about the weekend. “This weekend was a very good one for Bison wrestling because it was the first time since the 1992-1993 season that our team got a 10 win season. We wrestled a tough Drexel team on their campus and pulled off an exciting win to give us our 10th win. Over the last couple of months, our team has developed a lot and it’s really nice that our hard work is paying off,” Delp said. 

Hartman moved to 17-3 on the season, alongside Phipps getting his 16th victory. This was Hartman’s 14th career victory over a nationally ranked opponent.

The Bison have now won five of its six duals against Drexel, which has qualified six wrestlers for the 2021 NCAA Championships. 

The Orange and Blue have a match against Army West Point and Rider University this upcoming weekend.