Bison Field Hockey faces tough competition in opening games

Bison Field Hockey started their season this past weekend in Philadelphia against Drexel. 

The Philadelphia team took control of the game early on, scoring three goals in the first stanza to help secure a strong lead. Drexel also outshot the Bison 11-8 but tied them 7-7 in penalty corners.

The Orange and Blue had some attempts on goal but were unable to place the ball in the back of the cage. Drexel was able to execute on their chances and quickly put up a 2-0 advantage nine minutes into the game.

Defensively, the Bison did their best to stop Drexel, but after the third goal, Sarah Althouse ’27 made her collegiate debut in goal, taking over for Nora Frederick ’25.

Althouse recorded four saves and only let up one goal in the last three quarters of the game. The Bison ended the game 0-4, despite their best efforts.

The Bison picked back up Sunday, Aug. 27 as they traveled to Temple. Neither team took control in the first quarter of the game, with impressive defense performances from both sides keeping the game scoreless. Both teams combined for three shots, with Temple taking the majority. 

The Owls scored the first goal of the game five minutes into the second stanza. The Bison quickly responded seven minutes later with a goal from Isabella Pavlides ’25. They headed into the half with a 1-1 tie.

Temple had the only shot of the third stanza that made its way to the back of the cage for the Owls. Little action occurred the rest of the period.

The Bison tallied six shot attempts in the final period and Temple only four. Althouse stood in goal, grabbing three saves. The Orange and Blue put up more attempts in the final minutes but were unsuccessful. The game ended 2-1, in Temple’s favor.

The Bison hit the road again this weekend as they head to Columbus, Ohio to take on Ball State and Ohio State.