Bison Athlete of the Week: Cassie Lawrence

Doug Hendry, Sports Editor

The hero for the field hockey team this past weekend was forward Cassie Lawrence ’15, whose seventh-minute goal against defending Patriot League champion American was the deciding factor in the 1-0 victory.

Lawrence’s goal ended an 11-game regular season conference winning streak for the visiting Eagles. After getting through the defense from a long pass from Abby Watson ’16, Lawrence rocketed a close-range shot. Her first attempt was denied, but she followed up with a score off her own rebound.

Lawrence has been a consistent forward all year for the Bison, helping them to a 5-2 record. In their seven games, the Orange and Blue have scored 1.86 goals per game, and Lawrence has helped achieve that. Her three goals have her tied for second on the team in that category, while her 15 shots top the offense. Keeping the pressure up on opposing defenses and not allowing other teams to rest is one reason Lawrence is so effective.

A starter in all seven games this season, Lawrence has contributed to the Bison team before this year. Though her first year was more of a learning year, Lawrence appeared in 18 games as a reserve during her sophomore campaign.

She received a vital role in the offense during the junior campaign. She started in 15 of the 18 games and contributed two assists along with a goal against Delaware.

With the Bison just outside the top-25 in the RPI rankings, Lawrence will be a vital piece of the puzzle in helping the field hockey team enter the top-25 and dominate its Patriot League schedule. The first barrier in the way will be a pair of home games on Oct. 4 and 5 against Boston University and Drexel.

Bio:
• Position: Forward
• Hometown: Arnold, Md.
• High School: Broadneck
2014 Stats:
• Seven games started
• Three goals
• 15 shots
• One game-winning goal