CAP Core hosts S’mores and More

Ellie Lowe, Staff Writer

On Friday, Sept. 4, The University’s Campus Activities and Programs’ Core (CAP Core) put on their annual S’mores and More event.

S’mores and More, which was held at Uptown, gave students the opportunity to go out with their friends, make s’mores, and watch a movie. S’mores and More was slightly different this time around due to COVID-19. All the s’mores ingredients and snacks were individually packed as to be in accordance with COVID-19 guidelines. Students were also given individual, disposable wooden skewers to roast their marshmallows with to limit contact.

“This was such a fun event last year, and with there being less going on around campus, CAP Core really wanted to provide a fun relaxing summer activity for everyone,” event organizer Claire Martin ’21 said.

The movie chosen this year was the action-comedy “Jumanji: The Next Level.” The movie takes a modern approach to the classic movie Jumanji. 

“I picked Jumanji: The Next Level because it brings back some of the childhood nostalgia of the 1995 Jumanji movie, a movie we all watched as kids. Given that we are in the middle of a pandemic, I thought Bucknell students could use a feel-good adventure movie that would remind us of old times,”  Martin said.

The movie was projected in front of McDonnell Hall at the outdoor amphitheater on a big blow-up projector. There was also an artist who drew caricatures and lawn games set up throughout the area around Uptown.

Students enjoyed the night, even with the COVID-19 social distancing measures. “They’re doing their hardest to make it feel as normal as possible and the s’mores are great,” Maxine Mellin ’24 said.

“I’m loving it. The s’mores were great. The movie was a fantastic choice. I’m enjoying my time,” added Elliot Thorp ’23 said.

S’mores and More was also a great way to kick off a holiday weekend, with Labor Day being the following Monday. CAP Core will be putting on Country Fair this Friday, Sept. 11. The event will include a petting zoo, a mechanical bull, goat yoga and pumpkin painting.