What’s happening at the Campus Theatre?

Libby Darrell, Special Features Editor

During quarantine this past spring and summer, many of us were not only lonely but also profoundly bored, constantly searching for ways to fill the time. As a result of this newfound freedom, television show ratings and movie viewings shot up, with reality shows like “Tiger King” and “Selling Sunset” becoming excessively popular on Netflix. With the semester in full swing and less free time, quality television shows and movies are a great way to unwind, especially around the corner of midterm exams and without fall break this year.

About Film & Media Studies

At the University, students have the opportunity to major in English, with a concentration in film & media studies. According to the University’s website, this Bachelor of Arts degree offers a comprehensive overview of courses about documentaries and avant-garde cinema and others about film programming. In addition to diverse courses on everything from individual projects in film and media, writing techniques, special topics and film theory, the film & media studies department at the University has plenty of interactive projects and research for students to engage in.

Campus Theatre Internship

One of the resources for film & media studies majors, as well as the entire Lewisburg community, is located within a five-minute walk from campus, situated on Market St. It’s called the Campus Theatre, and according to the University’s website, is one of the only art deco movie theatres from 1941 with 35mm film capacity. The internship provides students with an overview of film and digital cinema projections, an experience in cumulative research, and knowledge about film production that is relevant to a career in the industry. This internship at the theatre is open to upperclassmen from all majors. In order to apply, students simply submit the application cover sheet, a resume, a transcript and a letter of recommendation. Applications should be submitted to academic film programmer and lecturer Rebecca Meyers.

Film & Media Studies Production Clinic

In addition to the Campus Theatre Internship, University students are able to complete a Production Clinic in film & media studies. According to the University’s website, the Production Clinic offers students real-world experiences, specifically in creating broadcast content for non-profit organizations. On an annual basis, the clinic chooses nonprofits searching for media assistance, and then pairs that organization with a class to aid with their media production.

Arts Merit Scholarships

Lastly, in terms of financial support to students within the discipline of film & media studies, the University selects first-year students each year to explore the subject. These scholarships range from $2,500 to $20,000 and financial need is not a requirement.

Upcoming events 

Live! From Lewisburg

In an effort to mitigate the boredom brought about from quarantine and isolation, the Campus Theatre is utilizing the outdoor environments in Lewisburg to encourage safe gatherings. On Sept. 30 from 6-8 p.m., the Campus Theatre is hosted “Live! From Lewisburg,” a live music event with Van Wagner and Runaway Stroller in Hufnagle Park.

George Winston

On Nov. 11 at 7 p.m., solo pianist George Winston is coming to the Campus Theatre to play a show. Best known for his solo piano recordings, Winston has sold 15 million albums to date and has played one-hundred concerts annually, according to The Campus Theatre’s website. A few of his well-known albums are “Autumn” and “December,” Winter into Spring” and 2017’s “Spring Carousel — A Cancer Research Benefit,” with “Restless Wind” being Winston’s most recent work. Doors will open at 6 p.m. for the event, and tickets will cost $40-45.

Knox Mine Disaster

Several of The Campus Theatre’s scheduled events for this semester had to be postponed from their original dates due to COVID-19. Included in those events affected was a showing of the documentary “The Knox Mine Disaster.” On March 28 at 1 p.m., The Campus Theatre will host a screening of the “Knox Mine Disaster,” followed by a question and answer session.

Slay the Dragon

Also, far in advance of the spring, the Campus Theatre has announced a virtual screening and online session of “Slay the Dragon” on May 28 at 7 p.m. The event is free and Cyndi Peltier of CommUnity, Mary Zimmerman, Jordi Comas and Carol Kuniholm will lead the discussion afterward, according to the event announcement.

The Booksellers

While the Campus Theatre is working on the possibility of scheduling other safe events for the year, the last current scheduled event is a live panel and Q&A after a viewing of “The Booksellers”. On May 7 at 7 p.m., come join Sarajane Snyder from Mondragon Books, University professor and author Joseph Scapellato, Linda Roller from Liberty Book Shop and Susquehanna University professor Rob Sieczkiewicz.