What does Bucknell do well?

Sienna Williams, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

We all applied, we all got in and as a community, we’ve shared many collective experiences, from enjoying chicken tender wraps from the Bison to filling up the library during finals week to trekking up the mini-mountains scattered across Bucknell’s hilly campus. Often in conversations, it seems we tend to jokingly or seriously criticize Bucknell. I mean, it’s common for students to critique their school. College can be overwhelming and Bucknell feels like its own isolated world, so things can easily frustrate you. I think many of us, myself included, sometimes lose sight of the positives. We downplay Bucknell, but what if we focused more on its strengths? For this last edition of this academic year’s Bucknellian, I thought we could end on a high note, so I asked around!

I reached out to students to gather their opinions on the question, “What does Bucknell do well?” It was refreshing to have this reminder and I found myself completely agreeing with what many said.

Camille Wilson ’27 said, “I love the scenery here at Bucknell. I love walking around campus and admiring the scenery that Bucknell has to offer, from sitting on the quad to admiring the cherry blossoms.”

Wilson’s sentiments resonate with many, including myself. It’s hard to deny that Bucknell has a gorgeous campus. I enjoy taking walks around campus myself. When I’m not too busy scrambling to run up the hills to get to class, it’s quite nice to admire the greenery and walkways, not to mention the ambiance of downtown Lewisburg’s shops and street lights.

Others spoke to the strong academic aspects here at Bucknell. Olivia Butler ’24, an education major, said, “Something that I like here are my professors. They truly make an effort to be supportive inside and outside of the classroom and make the academic journey enjoyable.”

I completely agree. In my experience, the vast majority of professors here at Bucknell have been incredibly supportive. The small class sizes foster meaningful connections with professors, allowing us to learn from their expertise. Their understanding and passion for teaching are evident, enriching our educational journey.

Abigail Motter ’25, an animal behavior major, said, “Bucknell has been wonderful at providing me with many opportunities to get involved in undergraduate research and has allowed me to learn skills that I never expected to learn during college– like handling a hissing cockroach or hand pollinating flowers from Australia.”

Almost everyone I know at Bucknell has had the ability to get involved with various undergraduate research projects and disciplines from the very beginning of their college careers. There are so many programs and opportunities and from my own experience, there’s always a professor who’s willing to help either by writing a recommendation letter or serving as a mentor. Thank you, professors, for your hard work!

Motter added that “Bucknell has also been able to create comfortable environments for folks who don’t normally find themselves in the party scene to hang out and watch Ratatouille at uptown or make stuffed animals for Festivus or crafting a cake shaped like Chewbacca’s head!”

I’m so glad this was pointed out because I completely agree. There are always so many CAP Center and student organization events happening around campus.  I’ve made so many friendships through my campus jobs, involvements, and even spontaneous attendance at events.

Cassandra Smith ’27 said, “Something I like about Bucknell is how much funding and support there is for campus clubs and organizations. I’ve been in clubs where we spend so much money and they’re just like…’okay you guys here you go!’”

As someone who has served as treasurer or finance person for multiple organizations, I can wholeheartedly confirm this sentiment. I recall my time in high school at a public school in central New Jersey, where fundraising often involved tedious tasks like selling 200 candy grams during lunchtime, hosting raffles and selling shirts. However, at Bucknell, the University generously funds numerous social programs and events without any cost to students. Additionally, there’s even room for more elaborate signature events if your organization has the resources and manpower.

Zoha Nadeer ’25, who is double majoring in Markets, Innovation & Design as well as Art & Design, expressed, “I love how easy it is to double major and the amount of faculty support that comes with it. They’re very positive rather than discouraging it, and there’s a lot of interdisciplinary study, allowing us to combine different interests.”

About 25% of students at Bucknell double-major, and it really is true how easy it can be. As a double major myself, I love how easy it is to be able to combine both my interests rather than having to pick and concentrate solely on one. I’ve only had to overload for two semesters, yet I am still on track to complete a minor as well. 

Something I’d contribute in my own response to this question is that Bucknell is shaped by its student body. Despite my own perspectives on the general student culture here, I find immense inspiration in many of my peers. I constantly encounter impressive and successful individuals and they are what make this place exciting.

As we bid farewell to another academic year at Bucknell, let’s remember to celebrate the strengths of our university, not just its shortcomings. From its stunning campus scenery to the unwavering support of professors and the diverse opportunities for involvement and exploration, Bucknell does, in a sense, foster an environment where students can thrive and grow. As we move forward into the summer, let’s carry these positive experiences with us, embracing the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead for next year!