Athlete of the Week: Justley Sharp ‘27

Justley Sharp ’27, a thrower on the track and field team, has been awarded Bison of the Week after breaking not one but two school records at the Bucknell Team Challenge this past weekend at home.

Sharp, a discus thrower and shot putter, has been on the top ten all-time list for the shot put since her first indoor season as a Bison. Now, she etches herself in Bucknell Track and Field history, notching two school records in the same meet.

She had already been sitting in the #2 all-time spot in the shot put when she threw 14.88m at the Colonial Relays on April 6th. She didn’t sit in that spot for long as she tossed a 15.61m throw to set the outdoor school record only two weeks later. 

In her first discus season as a Bison, getting on the all-time list wasn’t enough for Sharp. She entered that list during her first outdoor meet at the Hurricane Collegiate Invitational, where she threw 45.16m to put herself at #9 in the history books. Then, she moved up to #4 all-time at the Colonial Relays with a toss of 47.29m. She took the all-time record at her next meet with a heave of 50.56m to sit at #1 all-time for the Bison. 

“I honestly didn’t do anything abnormal to prepare for this meet,” Sharp said. “If I had it my way I would have a record-breaking meet every weekend, so I try to prepare the same every weekend. I just tried to stay loose and chase my potential. At the Bison Outdoor Classic, I had a few big throws that I unfortunately fouled, and I was determined to find those throws again. I was fortunate enough to find those marks this weekend.”

The discus and shot put records have stood since 1999 and 2015 respectively.

Track and Field next competes at the Bloomsburg Invitational this Saturday April 27th.