Seventh Street Studio & MakerSpace hosts Empty Bowls

Ellie Lowe, Staff Writer

Empty Bowls is an international grassroots charity that brings awareness to local food insecurity. Artists create bowls that are presented at a charity event where people can purchase a meal (typically soup) with the bowl. All the proceeds are donated to community food banks and shelters. The Seventh Street Studio & MakerSpace holds an annual fundraiser where students mold and paint the clay bowls that are later donated, the most recent of these events being held this past Saturday, Oct. 3.

The Seventh Street Studio & MakerSpace had tables set up outside to follow COVID-19 guidelines. Each table had clay and molds. To make the bowl, students would get a sheet of clay and form it around a premade mold. There were a variety of shapes and sizes that could be used, ranging from large circular to tiny triangular bowls. After the bowls were molded, students could then decorate their bowls by scratching into or putting stamps onto the clay. Once the bowls are all fired in the kiln, there will be an additional event where students can paint the bowls

“It’s a great event that a lot of students participate in and I think they have a lot of fun doing it,” MakerSpace employee Maggie McConnell ’22 said.

The original Empty Bowls was started in 1990 by a Michigan high school. Events have since grown in popularity over the years and have become a nationwide occurrence. The name Empty Bowls is meant to remind everyone that there are still people who are hungry and have “empty bowls” in their lives.

Students and organizations can host their own Empty Bowls event through the Seventh Street Studio & MakerSpace. Many find it to be an enjoyable way to make a difference in the community.

“This event was a fun activity. We got to be artists while doing a good deed,” Haley Scopelliti ’23 said.

“I love the MakerSpace and I love the events that they put together. They create a space where people can come do very fun, interesting things and feel a sense of community,” Mo Domah ’21 said.

Upcoming events at the Seventh Street Studio & MakerSpace include Screen Printing T-Shirts starting at 6 p.m. this Friday, Oct. 9 where the first 200 students will receive free t-shirts, and Vinyl Press Beanies starting 6 p.m. this Saturday, Oct. 10 where the first 200 students will receive free beanies.