No. 19 Water polo ready to start season

By Scott Padula

The Orange and Blue are ranked No. 19 as of Wednesday  in the Collegiate Water Polo Association’s annual preseason poll. This announcement marks the fifth time since 2006 that the Bison have been ranked in the preseason poll. The Orange and Blue join Saint Francis, The Naval Academy, and Princeton as the only teams from the East Coast represented in the top 20.

The team hopes to build upon its success from last year under new head coach John McBride and assistant coach Marty Matthies.

“I am very pleased with what I have seen from McBride and Matthies. They are both great leaders who know what it takes to win an Eastern Championship. We hope to do so this season,” said co-captain Spencer Richley ’12.

A former assistant coach at Brown over the past seven years, McBride inherits a team that reached the title game of the Southern Championships for the first time since 1998 and the semifinals of the Eastern Championship.

The Bison have five returning seniors leading the charge: co-captains Beau Cailloutte and Spencer Richley, Sam Fiske, Nick Barnett and Daniel Schwartz. The Orange and Blue also expect significant contributions from juniors Brian Barron and Matt Napleton. Last season, Barron tallied a career-high 50 points, while Napleton recorded 77 saves, but this Bison team is not based on individual effort.

“Our biggest strength this season is going to be our depth, especially from our very large and talented sophomore class,” said Cilloutte. “All of the freshmen last year worked really hard in the offseason and are in top form. They are ready to contribute and get some serious playing time this year.”

With the addition of first-years Buck Doyle, Greg Norton, Ken Wattana and Keegan Williams, the Bison are in for an exciting year.

The Orange and Blue begin their season at the Navy Labor Day Open September 3 and 4. While in Annapolis, they will play Gannon, Lindenwood, St. Francis and Cerritos.