Bison softball rolls past Aggies

Nick Sperduto, Contributing Writer

The Bison softball team traveled south on Friday to take on the Aggies of North Carolina A&T in a long awaited season opener. The Bison took care of business, sweeping the non-conference doubleheader. Despite losing top hitter Allyse Volpe ’22 to transfer, the Orange and Blue were dominant at the plate, recording 26 hits over the course of the two games winning the first game 8-3 and the second 11-7. 

Zoie Smith ’24 led the charge for the Bison, going deep in the top of the fourth. The freshman’s first collegiate home run put them on top for good. Smith later added two doubles and two singles in her eight total at bats on the day. Noelle Gardon ’24 also had an impressive afternoon, recording three hits in her college softball debut. 

“I think our class is super talented and strong, and we can make a huge impact on this program over the next four years,” Smith said. “I feel like we have so much potential and I’m excited to see how we grow as players and leaders.”

Jess Hom ’21, Taylor Wolfgang ’21, and Nicole Rivait ’22 started every game for the Bison in last year’s shortened season. All three contributed in various ways, with Hom scoring the very first run of the season, Wolfgang turning in a very solid performance behind the plate, and Rivait getting hot in the second game, going 2-for-3 with a pair of RBI’s.

“I am most looking forward to playing all the games we can get. Losing a season last year really puts things into perspective and I want to enjoy the time I have left on the field with my team,” Hom said. “Our biggest goal is to win the Patriot League Championship. That is always our goal and is always in the back of our minds when we’re practicing and playing. Even though we have had a lot thrown at us so far, I have high expectations for this team.”

Kelly Toomey ’23 had a strong day in the circle, striking out six over four innings, and earning her first win as a Bison. Kaiya Burton ’23 earned the second win of the season for the Orange and Blue. 

The Bison will return to the diamond next weekend, with a slate of games against Longwood.