Swimming and diving enjoy senior day victory

Justin Schaumberger, Sports Co-Editor

The Bison men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams celebrated their 15 graduating seniors with wins by both the men and women over Lehigh on March 27 at Kinney Natatorium. The women’s team triumphed by a score of 175-119, while the men were victorious by a score of 192-89.

John Gehrig ’24 was a standout performer for the men’s team in the 1000 freestyle, 500 freestyle and 200 butterfly. Noah Basista ’24 and Leo Kuyl ’23 also put up multiple first-place finishes. Basista won the 100 and 200 breaststroke while Kuyl won the 50 and 100 freestyle. In total, the men won 13 events and took all top-3 spots in three of them.

On the women’s side, Kate Gottwald ’24 managed to set the sixth highest score in Bison 1-meter dive history. The stellar freshman finished the sweep of the diving events by winning the 3-meter dive as well. Sabrina Vumbacco ’23 brought home the gold in the 500 and 1000 freestyle and Alexis Faria ’22 swept the competition in the butterfly, winning both the 500 and 1000 races. Senior Maggie Wyngowski capped off her senior day with another great performance, winning the 100 breaststroke and  200 backstroke. All told the women finished first in 11 events and went 1-2-3 in two of them.

“Its great to see the passion and excitement of both the Women’s and men’s teams,” shared mens team captain Kevin Flynn ’21. “I am proud to be a part of such a special program in which  my teammates show sacrifice and dedication”

The Bison will wrap up their dual meet season as they take on Loyola (MD) on Saturday April 10. The competition will take place at Kinney Natatorium.