Inconsistency hurts Bison baseball

Alex Bolinger, Contributing Writer

The Bison baseball team had an up and down weekend against the Navy Midshipmen. In three games against the Annapolis team, the Bison were only able to capture one win. On Saturday, the Bison split a double header before losing a single game on Sunday.

Unfortunately, the Navy Midshipmen were in control of the first game from the first at bat until the last. 

The ace for the Midshipmen had a strong performance that left many Bison bats behind in the count during the game. The Midshipmen allowed just one run on four hits and 10 strikeouts in six innings of work.

In the first game, Will Greer ’23 started on the mound for the Bison, who came in with a 2-0 record on the year. Greer tossed almost fifty pitches in the first inning as the Midshipman jumped out to a 3-0 lead that they were able to hold onto for the rest of the first outing. A bright spot was the work of bullpen pitcher Luke Allain ’22, who was able to retire all six Navy batters that he faced. In the end, the Midshipmen were able to secure the first game of the day in a 7-1 win over the Bison.

However, the Bison found their groove in the second game of the double header. This was an important win for the Bison, as it was a complete performance on both sides of the plate. The second game was again marked by great pitching by the Bison along with even more impressive hitting. The bats turned around for the Bison in this one as they were able to get active with 11 hits in the second game of the Saturday double header. The offensive star of the game was freshman Anthony Sherwin who was able to log two hits and five RBI’s in three at bats. Along with Sherwin, senior Peter Marren was able to have an impressive day, logging two hits on four at bats with an RBI.

This game was also impressive for Orange and Blue on the mound, as Chris Difiore ’23 only allowed a single earned run in six innings of work. Difiore was able to keep the Navy bats at bay as their offense stalled for most of the second game of the double header. In the end, the Bison were able to win the second game of the double header 11-1 in convincing fashion. This all around effort is what the Bison are looking for more often in their games.

“We had our highs and lows throughout the weekend, we are hoping to see more consistency in the games to follow. We were still able to pull out an impressive win over a tough Navy squad,” pitcher Renn Lints ’23 said.

The final bout of the weekend was Sunday and the Bison fell because of the explosive eighth inning the Midshipmen were able to put together. The Orange and Blue had a 9-5 lead in the sixth inning, something that they should normally feel comfortable with. But because burst of offense in the bottom of the eighth, the Midshipmen were able to take a 15-9 lead going into the final frame. The Bison added one more run before the end of the game, making the final score 15-10.

The Bison head into April with a 5-9 record and a 5-5 record within the Patriot league. Their next game will be this weekend on April 3 against the Holy Cross Crusaders. Even Though the Crusaders are still looking for their first win of the season, it is an opponent that the Bison should not take lightly.