Bison excel at Happy Easter Races

Justin Schaumberger, Sports Co-Editor

The Bison men’s and women’s track and field teams had exceptional performances at the Happy Easter Races at Lehigh this past weekend. The women’s team took first overall for the second straight meet, while the men finished in second place, only a handful of points behind first place.

The Bison women dominated the competition, finishing with 224.5 points, which was over 70 points more than second-place Lehigh (153). Several Bison won their individual competitions helping the team’s overall performance. In throwing, Delia Sipe ’21 won the shot put competition and placed fifth in discus. Meanwhile fellow senior Daija Misler earned points for the Orange and Blue in the shot put as well. Abby Whitaker ’22 rounded out the scoring throwers as she finished fourth in shot put and sixth in discus. Nora Bennett ’22 dominated the 3000m steeplechase finishing 27 seconds better than the second place finisher. Michaela Bracken ’22 continued her stellar season winning her third straight 400 hurdles event. Alex Butz ’21 managed to win both the high jump and tied for first place with Jennifer Scott ’23 in the pole vault. Ashlyn Ramos ’22 carried over her success from the cross country season and finished in first place in the 5000.

The Bison men were unlucky not to win the competition. The Orange and Blue finished only eight points behind first-place Binghamton. The 400m race was a good one for the Bison as Alex Dessoye ’21 was able to win and both Robert Dessoye ’21 and Rayven Sample ’24 were able to score points. Connor McMenamin ’21 and Jordan Montero ’21 were the other Bison winners on the day finishing first in the steeplechase and javelin respectively. The Bison also got scoring from their underclassman as freshman Matthew Perello ’24 scored in both the 100 and 200.

“It is very important for everyone to help contribute in these meets, going against Army Navy and other Patriot League competition every point counts and it does not matter where it comes from,” A. Dessoye said. “We are also losing a lot of seniors this year so it is important to get the younger people involved and into the feeling of scoring and placing at these meets.”

Both the men and women will look to continue their success as they host Patriot League foes Army and Lehigh on April 11 in Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.