Women’s track and field jumps in third place at Patriot League Championship

Cat Jamison, Contributing Writer

This past weekend at Shea Stadium the Bison (129.5) placed third behind Navy (295) and Army (216) in the Patriot League Championship. They were followed by Boston University (61), Lehigh (52), Holy Cross (34.83), Loyola (33), Lafayette (19), Colgate (10), and American (4). 

The Bison were led by Alex Butz ’21 who captured her first Patriot League gold medal in the high jump (5-6.5) achieving her personal best placing her 4th in Bison history. Butz had an incredible day also working her way to second in the top ten list for pole vault with an impressive score of (12-5.5). Alex Butz explains that “It was really awesome to get first after such a difficult year with Covid. It has always been a dream of mine to get first in the high jump so that was really fulfilling to do that at my last meet as a senior.”

Butz was followed by first year Abby Kates ’21 in the high jump in her championship debut. Butz stated that “it was really rewarding as a captain to have one of my freshmen get second place in high jump and so many other young girls do so well after such a hard year. It just showed that everyone’s hard work and dedication really paid off.” 

Reflecting on her first championship Abby Kates describes the feeling she got from the roar of orange and blue cheering her on is something she will never forget. “I feel like coming in third place as a team has really motivated us to train harder and give Army and Navy a run for their money at the indoor championships next winter which will be especially exciting for the class of 2024 as we have not competed indoors yet at Bucknell.”

Both Maura Fiamoncini ’21 and Ashlyn Ramos ’22 also earned event victories at the Outdoor Championships. Fiamoncini was named Patriot League Field Athlete of the week for her throwing success and Ramos ran the second fastest time in school history (16:23:17) after being crowned champion on Friday.

After finishing up a successful season the Bison are looking forward to dominating the Indoor season next winter.