Bison Cross Country hungry for success this season

Logan Kinajil-Moran, Contributing Writer

The Bison cross country teams are poised and ready for successful fall seasons. The women’s cross country team is looking to maintain and improve on previous success in the Patriot League and NCAA Championships, while the men’s cross country team is looking to beat the odds. For both teams, this season will definitely be one to watch.

Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams have been preparing intensely for the upcoming season. With senior captain Brendon O’Toole describing a “very special feeling” for this season, we can expect a lot of surprises and success. The Orange and Blue begin their season at the Bison Open on Sept. 4.

The women’s team boasted a close third in the Patriot League championships last year. They also had some incredible individual performances, with two second team All-Patriot League honorees, one first team All-Patriot League honoree and Ashlyn Ramos ’22 winning the individual title at the Patriot League Championships and competing at the NCAA Cross Country Championships. With these runners all returning for the fall season as well as a star-studded freshman class, the team, known for its dominance in the Patriot League, is expecting yet more success and trophies this season.

“This year, we are thankful to be able to practice as a team and travel to meets with minimal COVID restrictions. We return seven out of eight runners from last spring’s Patriot League lineup, and we are excited to see what we can do this season.” Emily Deschler ’22 said. “Our team has an excellent work ethic, and with our positive energy and motivation,” she continued, “we are aiming to be a team to reckon with on the league, regional and national levels.”

The men’s team, which is welcoming 12 new first-years and a collectively strong team that “will each contribute at different times,” is looking to beat the odds. As underdogs this season, they have already begun to fight to produce surprises and success with an especially close-knit team described by O’Toole as a “great family.”

“We have a great mix of experience and young legs, and the team is incredibly motivated. Everyone is putting the work in,” O’Toole explained. “This group of guys has such great potential and in working hard each and everyday next to each other, I think everyone is starting to realize what we could be capable of.” 

With the women’s team ready to dominate and achieve further success, and the men’s team looking to make waves for the Orange and Blue, this new season is sure to deliver a compelling story to tell come the end of the season.