Big Opening Weekend for Bison Men’s & Women’s Tennis

Holly Burns, Sports Co-Editor

The Bison men’s and women’s tennis squads are set to debut this coming weekend in the Bucknell Invitational. The Orange and Blue will face Niagara, Saint Francis (Pa.)and Lafayette in their opening slew of matches. 

Coach Bruce Meyers and the team are very excited to return back to a full competition schedule after facing numerous obstacles amidst the pandemic. Senior Ryan Jurist’ 22 is working to set the tone for the team. Jurist has been an integral part of the squad since his freshman campaign, going 17-12 in singles as a first-year, including 6-2 in the Patriot League. The only senior, Jurist will be an important leader for his teammates. 

The junior class is expected to be quite strong for the Orange and Blue, including key players Per Astrom ’23, Nick Mueller ’23 and Michael Owen ’23.

The Bison earned the No. 4 seed in the Patriot League tournament this past spring, and only hope to improve that position as the season progresses. 

“I think the team can win the Patriot League,” said Jurist. “We have a great group of freshmen, a great transfer, and some knowledgeable returners. We have a great combination of experience and talent.”

On the women’s side, senior captain Daniela Bellini ’22 is expected to be a strong force for the Orange and Blue. Bellini is a two-time All-Patriot League selection, and holds a 34-15 singles record, and a 33-20 doubles record. 

Juniors Dax Seidlin ’23 and Chloe Zilkha ’23 are also prepared to make major contributions to the team this coming season. Seidlin was incredibly impactful during her freshman season, and hopes to continue to string together some strong performances. 

Bison sophomores Tyne Miller ’24, Kate Novak ’24 and Laurel Utterback combined for 10 singles victories during their freshman season, and are looking forward to being back. Freshman and sophomores are both going to experience their first full seasons as Bison, and are eager to get out the court and compete. 

Check out Bison men’s and women’s tennis back in action this weekend on their home turf!