The University kicks off new year with Bucknell Refresh

Juliette Gaggini, News Co-Editor

On August 27 and 28 the University hosted a series of free events for Bucknellians, “Bucknell Refresh.” The weekend event kicked off the semester with numerous fun attractions and community events. Friday, August 27, featured a Jummah Prayer at the Muslim Community Space and Welcome Back BBQ with LGBTQ Resources, Fran’s House and GSA, as well as Shabbat Services and dinner at the Berelson Center and Alt-Rock & Roots at the Weis Center. 

Following these events were more activities at the Field House, beginning at 6:30pm. Events included Custom Bucket Hats, Henna and Temporary Tattoos, BMX Bike Shows by Dialed Action Sports, a student band performance, and an A$AP Ferg concert followed by Chimeneas and S’mores as well as lawn games on the Sojka lawn. 

By all accounts, students enjoyed A$AP Ferg’s appearance on campus for a free concert. Sojka Lawn was packed, and students had a blast dancing to the music and being with friends.  

Grace Hauer ’24 mentioned that it was a great way to get back to campus after over a year of social distancing. “Because of COVID-19 restrictions last year we didn’t really have the opportunity to have any concerts or big events so it was awesome to be in a big group again on campus! It was such a great way to start the semester,” said Hauer. 

On Saturday at 4:30pm therapy dogs and the Activities Fair were held also in the Field House. The activities fair is a great way to check out the University’s clubs and organizations as each club has a table for students to talk to the leaders and learn more about what each club does. 

Juliya Harnood ’24, Secretary of the Association for Computing Machinery, was also excited about the turnout for the Activities Fair. Harnood said that, “it was a wonderful experience to see all the clubs my peers were a part of and leaders for. I had a great time chatting with my co-leaders as we recruited more computer science majors to join our club.”

“The University is full of passionate and creative students who are just so open to any and everything and it’s my favorite part of being a Bucknellian. ’Ray activities fair,” Harnood continued. 

First-year Jahnia Treadwell ’25 also enjoyed the Activities Fair and getting to meet the clubs. Treadwell said, “The Activities Fair was overwhelming in the best way possible. We got to engage with a variety of clubs and explore extracurriculars that become a part of us over the next four years. It was definitely a highlight of the week and I am looking forward to my next four years!”

Alongside the Activities Fair were multiple food trucks on the Sojka Lawn. Students got tickets from the Activities Fair for free food from the variety of food trucks outside. 

Andrew Lee ‘22 spoke effusively of the food trucks, noting that “the barbecue meat food truck was my favorite and I also really enjoyed the shaved ice. I got the pina colada flavor which was really tasty and I found little pieces of pineapple in it which was an extra surprising bonus.”

On Saturday night students enjoyed a second concert of the weekend by the DJ/producer duo Two Friends in the Field House. 

Lucas Hill ’24 had a fun time at the concert with his friends. Hill said, “I think the Two Friends concert was a good start of the year since last year we could not do too much in person due to COVID-19 restrictions. I thought it was super fun to see the campus super lively. It was definitely one of the more fun nights in Lewisburg!”