Women’s Tennis Wins Three Main Draw Titles

Alivia Handson, Contributing Writer

The Bison women’s tennis team won three main draw titles this weekend at the Bill & Sandra Moore Invitational, hosted by the Naval Academy at the Brigade Sports Complex.

Outstanding performances from rookies Whitney King ’25 and Anna Lajos ’25 were crucial in the overall success of the Bison. King took the B Courage singles, and Lajos captured the C Commitment singles bracket.

King won against opponents from Navy and Fairleigh Dickinson to secure her spot in the finals. King upset Navy by a 6-4, 6-2 margin to win the B singles final. “The competition this past weekend was tough. It was extremely competitive and really exciting! I could have never had the weekend that I did without the support of my team,” King said.

Lajos edged out Binghamton and St. Bonaventure opponents to qualify for the C singles title match. She then defeated an opponent from Fairleigh Dickinson 6-1, 6-2 to clinch the title.

Senior captain Daniela Bellini ’22 and King were teamed together for a championship at A Honor doubles. The pair toppled Navy by a clear 8-3 margin to win their title. Bellini and King also displayed impressive teamwork in their 8-0 win over Binghamton, their 8-6 win over St. Bonaventure and their 8-7 win against Navy.

“I want to also shout out my doubles partner, and the best captain ever [Bellini] for being the best role model any freshman could have,” King said.

Other notable performances included that of Chloe Zilkha ’23, who came back from a first-round loss to win the consolation finals at E Endurance singles. Zilkha shut out Monmouth 6-0, 6-0 and beat Fairleigh Dickinson 6-1, 6-0.

The Orange & Blue will be traveling to Toledo’s Rocket Invitational on Oct. 1 and 2, where they are looking to build upon their success from this weekend. The Toledo Rocket Invitational will conclude the team’s fall season.