Bison Individuals compete hard at Binghamton Championship

Justin Schaumberger, Sports Co-Editor

This weekend the Bison men’s tennis team competed at the Star Group Binghamton Championship from Sept. 17-19. No Bison won a competition, but they all played hard and achieved individual success in their competitions.

On Friday, the competition kicked off with several Bison facing their competitors on the court. Nick Mueller ’23 and Nicolas Grünig ’25 won their singles matches to advance to the semifinals. Muller, who remained undefeated on the season, won both sets 7-6. Grünig emerged victorious with 6-2, 6-4 wins to advance to his semifinal as well. Carlos Carvahlo ’25 was up 4-3 in his match but suffered an injury and was forced to retire. Per Astrom ’23 was the last Bison in action and unfortunately lost his match 6-0, 6-1. 

In their semifinal matches on Saturday, Mueller and Grünig both engaged against tough opponents. Mueller raced out to a 3-0 lead before his opponent was forced to retire due to injury. Grünig played exceptionally well in his first set, winning 6-1. Unfortunately, his opponent bounced back and narrowly won the final two sets, 6-2 and 10-5, respectively. 

On the final day of the competition, Mueller played Merrimack’s Jan Semerak in the A Singles championship match. Mueller suffered his first loss of the season, falling 4-6, 4-6, but still capped off a great individual tournament performance. Grünig competed in the third-place match in the D Singles against Colgate. Grünig played extremely well in a marathon match but ultimately ran out of steam, losing 11-9 in a third-set tiebreaker. This was an extremely impressive weekend for the freshman Grünig who will look to build on the performance. 

The Bison’s next opportunity to compete will be next weekend when they travel to Philadelphia for the Saint Joseph’s Invitational. The tournament will last from Sept. 24-26.