In Memoriam: Dean Lewis “Chip” Marrara has passed

Courtesy: Bucknell University

Bucknellian Editorial Staff

In an email sent by President John Bravman last Friday, the University announced the death of Dean Lewis “Chip” Marrara. He was 54 years old.

“As assistant dean of students and student conduct administrator in the Division of Student Affairs, Chip helped guide students through difficult times in their collegiate lives,” said President Bravman in his email. 

Bravman went on to note, “Chip helped guide students through difficult times in their collegiate lives… he will be dearly missed.”

Marrara also served as the Assistant Dean of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs while also acting as the advisor for a number of student clubs and organizations for the past 18 years. 

Family was received late Tuesday, with a funeral mass on Wednesday morning.

“He was a loyal and devoted friend to many, whether it was kayaking Pine Creek, mountain biking with BEMBA where he served as treasurer, skiing in Lake Placid and Colorado and golfing with his Theta Chi brothers. He will be deeply missed by friends, family, and all who knew him,” his obituary read.

Fellow mountain biker Nicholas Fardone ’22, “He was super passionate about BEMBA and always tried to get new people involved, I went to those rides twice and he pretty much ran the show.” He continued, “The few times I went, he rode with the inexperienced riders to teach them skills and go over the basics with them, which was pretty cool to see. It definitely inspired the Bucknell Cycling Club to reach out to less experienced riders and get them introduced to the sport. I wish I had the opportunity to ride with him more, he will be missed.” 

Friend and neighbor, Professor Sue Ellen Henry, “Chip was a deeply engaged community member and university citizen. He will be badly missed.”

Bravman offered the mental health support of the Counseling & Student Development Center in his email. He also said that faculty should reach out to the Employee Assistance Program if they need support. 

For his funeral, his family has asked that donations be made to BEMBA (www.baldeaglemtb.org), Susquehanna Valley Youth Hockey League (www.sunburystampedehockey.com), or the Green Dragon Foundation (www.greendragonfoundation.org), instead of sending flowers. 

To share your experience and sympathies with Dean Marrara and his family, please visit inmemoriam.bucknell.edu.