For the first time in two years, Fall Fest is back!

Katie Cutler, Senior Writer

For high spirits and sugary snacks, look no further than the University’s annual Fall Fest – an event widely anticipated by members of each class year.

Junior Katelyn Collins ’23 reflected on her first year experience at Fall Fest in 2019, noting that she, “honestly wasn’t sure if [she] was going to go until a couple people in [her] hall knocked on everyone’s doors and were adamant on leaving.”

“Their upbeat energy encouraged me to tag along, and I remember laughing so hard at my friends waving frantically at the top of the Ferris Wheel. I was so happy to be in such a positive atmosphere, and getting the chance to meet people I otherwise wouldn’t have had a chance to meet. Plus, the free cotton candy and frozen ice pops were definitely an added bonus,” Collins explained.

This anecdote epitomizes student opinion on Fall Fest, one of the few opportunities each year for students of all class years to interact and share in a variety of entertainments.
As Collins explains, the event’s combination of opportunities to meet new people – and the free food – are attractive prospects for all years. Junior Kaity Bednarski ’23 concurs with Collins, offering that she “must have had eighteen fried oreos” and adding, “I think the Flyson [food truck] made an appearance too.”
In addition to the food, past Fall Fests have included both student performances and shows by toweing musical figures like Jay Sean, B.O.B., and the Plain White T’s. Both Collins and Bednarski remember Jay Sean’s performance at Fall Fest 2019, laughing as they remembered singing every word to his hit song “Down.”
This year’s Fall Fest includes plans of carnival rides, giveaways, and a performance by Shaquille O’Neal, performing under his stage name “DJ Diesel.” Fall Fest is organized on a yearly basis by the Campus Activities and Programs (CAP) Center and Activities and Campus Events (ACE), with preferences indicated through polls answered by students.
This year’s Fall Fest will be taking place on Friday, September 24th from 5-10pm at the Sojka Pavilion. The event is only for students of the University and will be held rain or shine; prospective attendees should make sure they bring appropriate clothing for the weather, as well as their student ID.