University Fashion Week Features Staggeringly Different Takes on Day Drinking ‘Fits

AJ Lawrence, Contributing Writer

With the semester kicking into full gear, it’s natural that social activities would be doing just the same. The consistent appearances of day and night partying, and the continuation of rare warm fall weather, heralds the appearance of the student body’s best drinking ware. Both daylife and nightlife call for different apparel, as everyone knows they are two very different events. But while campus night looks tend to be fairly cohesive between the ladies and gentlemen of the party scene, the day drinking outfits students wear have proven to be very contrasting. 

Girls here at the University seem to be holding onto summer for as long as they can, still wearing the most recent warm weather trends. Many have been seen wearing the popular Princess Polly dresses and tops, pastel colors and flower patterns on puffy sleeves and short skirts, all while trying not to spill their drinks on those beautiful (and overpriced) outfits. Pair them with practical sandals or a nice heeled boot and you get a modern take on those beloved Free People looks that we can’t get enough of. In the end, the shoes don’t matter as much as the dresses since they will get ditched the longer the day goes on anyway. 

Moving onto the boys… while the looks are solid, there is a lack of pizazz compared to the girls. Frankly, we aren’t amazed with the fashion the boys tend to model, as it’s the same as what they wear any other time of the year. You will find that the pants are one of three options: chinos, basketball shorts, or jeans (however I am happy to report that it seems jorts are appearing with increasing frequency). And even though most opt for jerseys, Hawaiian shirts, hoodies or no shirt; there is a bit more variety in the shirt department, with a group of what we can only assume are theater kids or goths having been seen wearing lovely Victorian ensembles. The shoes continue to lack luster with sneakers, crocs and loafers (yes, even while wearing the aforementioned pieces) being the most popular options. 

With October swiftly approaching we can only hope that these partygoers will get more creative with their looks, but the chances are slim when it’s very likely that they all own the same cable knit sweaters and University hoodies. But we hold onto hope, just like student Renee Burger ’23 did when she told us that she “had to change looks halfway through a party” when she found out five other girls were wearing the same dress as her. Sources say the other girls did the same, and three of them ended up in the same secondary outfit anyway. So, maybe we shouldn’t have so much hope.