Bison Football Return to Lewisburg Empty-Handed

Brooke Tracey, Contributing Writer

The Bison Football team travelled to the Bronx, New York on Saturday, Oct. 16 to face off against in-conference rival, Fordham University. The Orange and Blue did not leave the city with the result they were looking for, falling in a tough defeat with a score of 66-21. The Bison fall to 1-5 on the season, and 0-2 in Patriot League play.

It only took the Rams four drives to find the end zone. Another touchdown followed for Fordham a little over two minutes later, but the Bison responded on a two-yard touchdown run from running back Jared Cooper ’22. The Orange and Blue closed out the first quarter trailing by a score of 21-7.

The second quarter proved to be a struggle for the Bison, as they gave up four touchdowns and a field goal. Just under halfway through the quarter rookie running back Rushawn Baker ’25 scored the first touchdown of his career. The Bison went into halftime, behind 45-14.

The Orange and Blue continued to battle in the third quarter. While they did not convert any points themselves, they held Fordham to only one touchdown. The Bison entered the fourth quarter trailing 52-14. Sophomore running back Danny Meuser closed out the Bison’s scoring with a five-yard touchdown, after conceding two more touchdowns to the Rams. 

Sophomore kicker Ryan Schatzel responds to the loss with an optimistic mindset: “Regardless of the outcome, [he] admires how hard [the team] fought against the very experienced team that Fordham has” and feels there are many “positives to take away from the game, and will look to build upon them in games going forward,” Schatzel said. 

While this was surely not the result the Bison were hoping for, they return to Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium at the Pascucci Family Athletics Complex on Saturday, Oct 23 in a conference match-up against Georgetown. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.