Volleyball Splits Weekend Against the Crusader and Black Knights

Holly Burns, Sports Co-Editor

This weekend the Bison volleyball squad earned a win and a loss against tough Holy Cross and Army teams, respectively. On Friday evening, the Bison fought their way back from deficit to earn their second Patriot League victory of the season. The Orange and Blue gained tremendous momentum heading into the fifth set after a back and forth match, hitting a match high .455 to secure their victory. The victory ended the previous seven-match losing streak for the Orange and Blue. 

First-years Jen Sivak and Amanda Tesserot as well as sophomore Sarah Ramirez all recorded notable performances in the win. Sivak recorded nine kills and five block assists. Tesserot had a career-best 24 digs. Ramirez had a fantastic game with 37 assists, two service aces, and eight digs. 

In Sunday’s match against the Black Knights, the Orange and Blue held a lead through sets two and three but were unable to hold on until the end and secure the victory. Despite the loss, several Bison players boasted impressive performances on the day. Outside hitter Jennie Burke ’22 posted 11 kills with 29 total attempts, earning a .241 hitting percentage on the day. The squad had the match high hitting percentage with .250, losing sets two and three by a narrow margin. 

Each of the sets were back and forth, the Orange and Blue holding leads in many and forcing the Black Knights to claw their way back. 

Ramirez added 23 assists on the day and 11 digs, earning a double-double. Libero Jordan Hardy ’25 continued her streak of consistent performances with 18 digs.

“Even against a strong team like army, every set was a battle and we never let the previous set effect how we played. We played hard every point,” Valentina Feigl ’24 said. “This next weekend we are gonna focus on finishing sets. We always seem to make it above 20 and then the other team pulls ahead, so if we can be able to take those last couple points we will be much more successful.”

The Orange and Blue have a string of tough road matchups next weekend, facing the American Eagles on Friday, Oct. 29, and the Navy Midshipmen on Saturday, Oct. 30. The Bison currently sit at seventh in the Patriot League standings, and continue to fight for a seat in the championship tournament.