Athlete of the week: Chris Difiore

Clara McCormick, Senior Writer

The University baseball team’s season starts on Feb. 18, and the preseason awards have been announced for the Patriot League. The Bison’s very own, Chris Difiore ’23, was awarded the title of Preseason Pitcher of the Year. This accolade was granted to the left-handed pitcher for his past accomplishments and contributions to the Orange and Blue. His statistics include a 3.51 ERA in conference with 46 strikeouts and 18 walks. His best record in conference is 5-1, and he pitched 51.1 innings. Difiore was also named First Team All-Patriot League in his sophomore season.

“Winning Preseason Pitcher of the Year is awesome but at the same time I know it means nothing because we haven’t played a game yet. All I can do is go out every Saturday and give it my all and try to give my team the best chance to win the game,” Difiore said.

The junior has even higher aspirations for himself and the University team. “A goal of mine is to win Pitcher of the Year at the end of the season, but the most important thing to me is winning the Patriot League Championship.”

Difiore and the Orange and Blue are coming off an 11-22 season, with an 11-15 in-conference record, and were ranked to place fifth in the Preseason Poll. 

“Our team is very talented this year, and I think we have a real chance of winning the whole thing. We have a bunch of young guys who are going to get their first chance to play this year, and I think they will step-up and help out a lot. Our pitching staff has added a lot of depth, as well as our batting lineup. We have a real chance to make some noise in the Patriot League this year,” Difiore said.