Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium to receive $12m additions

Jaxon White, News Section Co-Editor

Following the addition of the new scoreboard put in over this past summer, Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium will receive more add-ons this coming summer. 

A new turf field will expand the stadium to be used by men’s lacrosse, football, men’s and women’s cross country and track & field, according to Director of Athletics and Recreation Jermaine Truax. These teams are the primary users of Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium and will find the most benefit from the new addition. 

“These enhancements will positively enhance the student-athlete experience, help us attract talented prospective student-athletes, and significantly improve the game day experience,” Truax said. 

The turf field will be constructed over the grass practice field in between the University gates and Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium. This field has been used in past years for practice by various teams and for hosting various University gatherings, such as certain events during homecoming. 

Current plans for the project expect its completion by July 2022. 

Truax said that the project, which includes the new board in 2021, the new turf field in 2022 and a team center planned for construction in 2024, will cost about $12 million, with the bulk $10 million coming from the Pascucci family donation as part of their $40 million gift to the University. The rest will be funded through private, fundraised dollars. 

He also said that the new field will not only be used for practices, but also for competitions, strength and conditioning training. Once the team center is built the area will also have meeting spaces, rehabilitation services and a locker room for the varsity men’s lacrosse team. 

“We are very excited about the impact of the Pascucci Athletics Complex on the Bison men’s lacrosse program,” men’s lacrosse head coach Frank Fedorjaka said. “We are already seeing what the new video board does to enhance the fan experience at our home games.”

“The installation of the new turf field will help support overlapping team practice activities at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium, which in turn will help our student-athletes make more efficient use of their time as they work to balance their training and academic schedules.”

Because of the location of the new field, the throwing events for the track & field team will have their practices and competitions relocated to an area near the west side of campus, across Route 15. 

Throws coach Ryan Protzman said that although the facilities near the stadium give athletes the chance to cheer on their teammates when not competing, the new facility will make it easier to operate track meets at the University by spreading out the javelin runway and the other throwing sectors. 

“Our current set up makes it challenging to handle the logistics of a meet day or weekend,” Protzman said. “Although it’s hard to be the only event group on the move, it’s an exciting feeling to get new throwing areas. Our new throwing areas will be spaced out to create a safer environment for our athletes, our competitors, and those working the events.”